Author Topic: Brighthouse vs. Spectrum Pricing & Plans  (Read 370 times)

Offline mcluvin

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
Brighthouse vs. Spectrum Pricing & Plans
« on: April 27, 2018, 05:04:25 PM »
I was looking at my cable bill (a grandfathered Brighthouse plan) and comparing it to the new Spectrum packages.  Spectrum is a lot cheaper and utterly confusing.  I went down to my local office and somehow got 100 Mb internet + Spectrum Silver (includes HBO+Cinemax+Showtime) + Digital Tier 1 for ~$148 per month.  I only use a cable card and have my own modem.  I'm not sure I need Digital Tier 1.  When I try to compare the channel lineup, it tells me digital tier 1 is 52 channels, but when I look at the channels the ones I care about already seem to be a part of the Spectrum Silver package.  It is clear as mud.  Anybody else gone through this?

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
Re: Brighthouse vs. Spectrum Pricing & Plans
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 11:33:40 PM »
I just have Internet. I honestly don't see the point in paying $100+ a month for Cable anymore.

Problem with the cable companies is they make their packages such that the channels you want will be at a higher tier. Even if you find a package you are OK with then they slap you with DVR and HD receiver fees per room which can easily double the monthly cost. I tried to put packages together six different ways with all the companies before giving up. That said if you have to do cable then look at Sony Vue or the DirectTV streaming version.. they run about $40 or $50 a month for a decent package and since you provide the equipment there's no dick over fees for DVR boxes, etc.

For me though Netflix, Youtube and OTA tivo is more than enough.

Offline mcluvin

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
Re: Brighthouse vs. Spectrum Pricing & Plans
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 02:56:30 PM »
After searching their forums, It seems Digital Tier 1 is included in the Silver package.  It's just the totally confusing way they list all the services in the bill.  When I add it up, $50 for internet, $50 for some sort of channel package, $15 for HBO, I don't feel too bad about what I'm paying for what I'm getting here.  Though, if I didn't have my Tivo and minis, there's no f'n way I'd keep cable.  Those hardware fees are nuts.