Author Topic: How to know a transformer has bit the dust?  (Read 1554 times)

Offline Weeze

• Level 10: Timelord
  • "Stay away from the French and sick people"
Re: How to know a transformer has bit the dust?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2018, 04:19:03 PM »
hey man, listen I appreciate all your suggestions, if the game had a service plug I wouldve gone there first. Have to admit I didnt think about hooking up something to the outputs. i probably wouldve sooner or later showing up here asking how to hook thm up to the trans .....I WILL remember that one should it ever rise its ugly head. with all these 60s Gottliebs Ive been restoring the past few year and with 3 more to go maybe itll  pop up again. but then again, 30-35 yers , exactly 1 bum trans former........
Oh HEY anyone reading, Im obviously looking for a Gottlieb transformer used from 167 thru 1973 AT LEAST,,,,, part number is B-6183
THANKS
Current Pins and Stuff: Hurdy Gurdy, Flipper Pool, Mini Pool, Kings & Queens, North Star, Ice Revue, King of Diamonds,  Flipper Clown, Bow & Arrow, Old Chicago, and the one and only, past owners include Wayne Newton, Pia Zadora and half the Village ,the totally awesome and historic, "CANDY APPLE" RED Astro..    
  Rowe "Encore" Jukebox.
Past Pins: way too many to list. plus a couple of vids, and  assorted other stuff.
  For Trade: Hawknole's Dog

Offline FUNWIZ

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2018, 04:35:36 PM »
i hooked up a table lamp EXACTLY as shown in picture number 3, nothing.

Actually, it's pix 1 that shows the lamp cord jumpered over to the transformer, which would light up if the transformer was getting power from the wall.  If you didn't get it to light up, then your not getting power to the transformer, and putting in another one won't help either, cause it won't light up on it's own, needs wall power.
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Chicago Gaming, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline Weeze

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2018, 05:58:23 PM »
oh, no, I had the game plugged in , before i did it I checked the continuity the lenth of the plug wires all the way back to the wall socket that I checked just before. then i hooked up the wires as shown knowing the lamp was on and then I plugged  in the game.. nothing. Its gotta be the transformer.power goes right up to the transformer but there is nothing coming out. plus it wont warm up, buzz , make noise, smell or kick up a fuss like when K7 gets stuck with a lunch check. Nothing zip zero nada, it aint me babe, as active as VIKING on his day off!
but again I thank you for the advice! you got one of these layng around somewhere? #B-8183 ?
Current Pins and Stuff: Hurdy Gurdy, Flipper Pool, Mini Pool, Kings & Queens, North Star, Ice Revue, King of Diamonds,  Flipper Clown, Bow & Arrow, Old Chicago, and the one and only, past owners include Wayne Newton, Pia Zadora and half the Village ,the totally awesome and historic, "CANDY APPLE" RED Astro..    
  Rowe "Encore" Jukebox.
Past Pins: way too many to list. plus a couple of vids, and  assorted other stuff.

Offline FUNWIZ

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2018, 09:21:40 PM »
Maybe there is a transformer laying around.  Doubt the numbers would be readable. 
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Chicago Gaming, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline atarijim

• Level 5: Power User!
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2018, 05:28:11 AM »
Gott's of that era used a lot of slam/tilt switches, which kill the AC, along with a 120 volt hold relay; I always bypass these now useless problem causes.
If the game is on a dolly with no legs, there is a through the bottom switch right by the score motor that could be inactive; double check the usual first relay that will usually
have 2 plastic insulated wires to the contacts. Bypass anything you suspect. I doubt that that the trans fried without blowing fuses and melting crap out.

aj

Offline Weeze

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2018, 08:42:51 AM »
y, Ill look around some more. thanks JIM. Ive checked as many of those freaking slam switchs already, things are definately more trouble then they are worth.
as I said above Ive never seen a dead trans before and Ive seen my share of games as far as sticking my head in them.
 ah crao, like they say 'Its a jungle out there"! we shall persevere!!!!
  Rowe "Encore" Jukebox.

Offline Weeze

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2018, 02:54:39 PM »
ok heres a picture of this yellow bellied stinkbird taken in the wild:
  Rowe "Encore" Jukebox.

Offline Weeze

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2018, 02:59:29 PM »
ok WTF? story of my freakin life. I cant get nothin to cooperate, it MUST be Mercury Retrograde ifn you know about that astrological stuff.
 Can somebody open this attachment for me? I would be quite thankful if you could.

Rowe "Encore" Jukebox.

Offline k7

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2018, 06:45:54 PM »
worthpoint charges you to see old eBay auctions. so you can't simply steal their pictures.

well, I can. :P
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline Weeze

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2018, 07:37:25 PM »
Thanks K7, as always helping a fellow collector out! those pictures were in a whole page of fotos that popped up when I googled "Gottlieb transformer B-6183"
now these were used from at least 67 thru 77 and maybe more but man they made them with different numbers of lugs, lugs on both sides or just one side, layed down flat or upright, etc but PICTURE NUMBER 2 is the exact photo of the one I think I need.
 One of our own on here contacted me and he has a transformer outta a PRO FOOTBALL but its missing paper thus no part number
  Rowe "Encore" Jukebox.

Offline Weeze

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2018, 04:30:11 PM »
Ive got my hands on a B-3235....Im gonna try this one. if not Ill have to send the game out to a pro.
thanks everyone
  Rowe "Encore" Jukebox.