Author Topic: Rick and Morty  (Read 3331 times)

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
Rick and Morty
« on: May 10, 2018, 07:11:05 PM »
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/05/rejoice-adult-swim-just-ordered-an-insane-70-more.html

At the current pace that's 7 more seasons over the course of the next 30 years or so.

Seems unlikely Dan Harmon will live to see the end of this.

He wasn't kidding:

Rick: "And then we're gonna go on even MORE adventures after that, Morty. And you're gonna keep your MOUTH SHUT about it, Morty...

..because the world is full of idiots that don't understand what's important. And they'll TEAR us apart, Morty!!

But if you stick with me, I'm gonna accomplish great things, Morty, and you're gonna be part of 'em.

And together we're gonna run around, Morty, we're gonna... do all kinds of wonderful things, Morty. Just you and me, Morty. The outside world is our enemy, Morty... we're the only.... friends we've got, Morty! It's just Rick and Morty. Rick and Morty and their adventures, Morty.. RICK AND MORTY FOREVER AND FOREVER A HUNDRED YEARS Rick and Morty.. some...things.. Me and Rick and Morty runnin' around and... Rick and Morty time... a- all day long forever.. all a - a hundred days Rick and Morty! forever a hundred times.... OVER and over Rick and Morty... adventures dot com.. W W W dot at Rick and Morty dot com w..w..w... Rick and Morty adventures.. ah- hundred years..... every minute Rick and Morty dot com.... w w w a hundred times... Rick and Morty dot com......."
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 07:12:48 PM by Niloc »

Offline Shdwknt

• Level 6: Knight Industries
  • Suck it
Re: Rick and Morty
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 11:50:19 AM »
I really dont get the appeal of this show.. I have watched the first season and a half.. I don't find it funny.  I dont find it amusing.. granted - very little TV can even keep my attention (the reason I dont have cable and havent for over 6 years now).  Watching this on kodi.. I just dont enjoy it.. its pretty stupid actually.
Red White and Blue IGT Slot, SF2: CE, SF: The MovieNSM hyperbeam 100 disc Jukebox,

Offline k7

• Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 12:17:43 PM »
you might need to pay more attention.  :)

some people won't get it. while others catch the tons of easter eggs hidden thruout.

not every episode is great. but they have a better percentage then most.
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 12:58:21 PM »
It's not as good as people make it out to be, but it's not bad.

I find about half the episodes to be well thought out and fun the other half are kinda filler.

It's more entertaining than recent South park.

Offline Neal_W

• Level 3: Hologram
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 02:28:53 AM »
It hits all the right buttons for me. Currently the funniest animation on TV IMHO.

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 11:27:28 AM »
There's an old bit about how funny and sexy are similar... basically if you don't find something funny or sexy, no one is ever going to be able to convince you otherwise, and that's fine - not every show is for every person.

Personally, Rick and Morty is one of my favorite current shows, and will likely be one of my all-time favorites as well. It's comedy & sci-fi mixed - more common today than it used to be, but still not something you see a lot of. It's a good bit like Futurama, but darker and more tightly packed with jokes and concepts.

But yeah, if you didn't like the Meeseeks episode, the show probably just isn't for you.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 11:29:19 AM by Niloc »

Offline Shdwknt

• Suck it
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 10:20:32 AM »
My humor is more like insulting type.. I love big bang theory (though again I havent had cable in 6 years I cant tell you the last time I saw the show), shows like - two broke girls, big bang those are more my comedy style, and then the much older stuff like Beverly hillbillies, munsters, married with children..     I HATE these types: the office, rick and morte, south park, jackass; that shit is NOT funny to me.. its not even REMOTELY amusing.. the what seems to be almost FART joke humor all the time just doesnt do it for me.   Like you said.. everyone has a different view but I just havent found a lot of newer shows from say mid-90s up that are comedys funny.. its like society got stupid and so the shows just do stupid shit.
Red White and Blue IGT Slot, SF2: CE, SF: The MovieNSM hyperbeam 100 disc Jukebox,

Offline ratsflif

• Level 8: Psi Corps
  • All your base
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 11:10:52 AM »
My humor is more like insulting type.. I love big bang theory (though again I havent had cable in 6 years I cant tell you the last time I saw the show), shows like - two broke girls, big bang those are more my comedy style, and then the much older stuff like Beverly hillbillies, munsters, married with children..     I HATE these types: the office, rick and morte, south park, jackass; that shit is NOT funny to me.. its not even REMOTELY amusing.. the what seems to be almost FART joke humor all the time just doesnt do it for me.   Like you said.. everyone has a different view but I just havent found a lot of newer shows from say mid-90s up that are comedys funny.. its like society got stupid and so the shows just do stupid shit.

"You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world."

Offline k7

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 04:41:30 PM »
these 2 statements are impossible together. :P

... shows like - two broke girls, ... more my comedy style
chuck lorre stuff.

I HATE these types: the office, rick and morte, south park, jackass; that shit is NOT funny to me.. its not even REMOTELY amusing.. the what seems to be almost FART joke humor all the time just doesnt do it for me. 

2 broke girls is the biggest pile of dogpoop i've ever had the misfortune to waste time on.

big bang is decent, but has run it's course.
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 11:54:20 AM »

I agree on The Office, I watched a bit of both the British and American versions and it felt very much like the writers had never worked in a real office - most of it just seemed to be the normal crap you have to deal with, this co-worker is annoying, another one is genuinely a bit crazy, and so on. This isn't an exaggeration for humor, it's just... reality. No thanks, I get enough of that IRL. Not for me.

I also can't stand prank call shows, "cringe" humor or anything where the people being made fun of aren't in on it.

Definitely disagree about both South Park and Rick & Morty - not saying they don't go for gross-out humor some of the time, both definitely do, but South Park has had some super sharp and biting humor as well (though I would say it's well past its prime) and a lot of the jokes and concepts in Rick & Morty are just mind-blowingly complex.

Jackass on the other hand, yeah, that's just stupid for the sake of stupid. I like the bits where they do stunts, or pranks on the other guys in the show, but can't stand the pranks on unwitting people in public. It also hasn't been on TV in years, those guys are too old for it now and I doubt they can recover from the injuries nearly as well.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 11:56:06 AM by Niloc »

Offline Neal_W

• Level 3: Hologram
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 01:00:38 PM »
Like you said.. everyone has a different view but I just havent found a lot of newer shows from say mid-90s up that are comedys funny.. its like society got stupid and so the shows just do stupid shit.

I am always reminded that the good old days weren't that good. We can't sit around the BW TV and watch I Love Lucy forever.

The comparison between Rick and Morty and Futurama is pretty accurate.

If nothing else, it is one way to get the late night TV crowd up to speed on Quantum Physics and help them wrap their head around parallel universes, and even Shakespeare liked an ocasional dirty joke.

Offline mcluvin

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 08:05:28 PM »
Rick and Morty is mostly pretty friggin' hilarious.  South Park has jumped the shark bigly.  Anybody else watch the first episode of Who is America?  Sometimes I find Cohen's humor a bit uncomfortable, but damn!

Offline Shdwknt

• Suck it
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 12:08:23 PM »
a lot of people I talk to seem to find the show "funny" because rick is a drunk asshole.. if that was the case everyone should find me hilarious... I'm a drunk asshole and subsequently named richard (go by rick) so.. its kind of like the show is ripping me off and Im not getting paid. 

I think of humor as a giant punch line.. and this show is just dude being a dick to people and people find it funny.. "inside jokes" meh.. if im wasting time infront of a tv I want the punchline to hit me in the face.. I liked married with children.. rules of engagement, tool time..

I dunno.. I just think that Rick being a dick to people is just a mirror into my life.. just less science ;)

** and to Neal_W -- I certainly can watch I love lucy all day! Amazon Prime streams it!

Offline tufnel1530

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 03:58:59 PM »
Thats an adult swim show?

pretty much for stoners then... isnt that their one and only demographic? everything is funny and genius after 10 bong hits.

I flip adult swim on once and while for fun. Always some different nonsense on.

Just gotta watch out for Mr. Pickles.. that one will hurt your brain.

Offline yesimbrandon

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 10:10:12 AM »
I haven't given Rick and Morty a chance. It's a bit of a turnoff when the fanbase seems so awful. I hear it's a true test of your IQ whether you like this show or not.
Pins: Deadpool Pro, Iron Maiden Pro, Game of Thrones Pro, Doctor Who, The Shadow, Meteor