Author Topic: So I guess A Wrinkle in Time sucked?  (Read 644 times)

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
So I guess A Wrinkle in Time sucked?
« on: March 19, 2018, 05:26:08 PM »
Back when I was a kid (in the old days, but not the Spiney days before they discovered Color) the Wrinkle in Time books were all the rage. I guess they were the Harry Potter of the early 1980s.

The trailer looked a bit too 'slick'.. ie more Disney than anything else. I was still onboard until the reviews hit. Sounds like it's more of a treatise on SJW politics than an adaptation? That's a shame.

Did anyone actually see it?

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
Re: So I guess A Wrinkle in Time sucked?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 06:50:11 PM »
Haven't seen it, but it doesn't surprise me. Sometimes "unfilmable" is a good challenge to the right director (Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas), but sometimes unfilmable just means unfilmable - or it just gets adapted so much that it may as well not be based on the source material at all. Anyone see that "Hey, Scarlet Johannsen is naked" movie "Under the Skin"? Way, way, WAY different than the weird-ass (but interesting) book it's based on.

Some of the basic themes of A Wrinkle in Time were "believe in yourself" and "love conquers all" anyway, so people were always going to have a fit about that. It's a solid "my first sci-fi" book (very light on the "sci") for kids but that's about it.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 07:38:30 PM »
I haven't read the books since the 80s so it's all a bit fuzzy but I remember liking them. I remember them being a bit more creepy in tone than what the Disney movie is going for.

But yeah.. maybe it's something that should be left alone. The first attempt at a movie version wasn't great either. But that one was just boring and cheaply made.. it wasn't because of political agendas at least.

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 01:17:01 AM »
Got around to watching this one, and it's not great.

FX wise it's all over the place, with a few cool things and a lot of meh, some outright bad.

Some of the smaller changes are just baffling in a "why did they bother changing that?" way. The family apparently lives in Los Angeles in this version?
They reference but don't show some of the better parts of the book (Aunt Beast) - but that makes sense for time constraints.

Overall though I'd say it's pretty true to the book, it's just rather sloppily made - feels like the director had a big budget but not much experience.

The ending in particular is very rushed. Characters are evil out of no where, with the flip of a switch and everything is resolved in the same way.

It really would have been hard to get this one right as a movie, and they didn't. Not the worst movie, just not worth your time.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 01:19:05 AM by Niloc »