Author Topic: Please send someone to collect Tim Burton, we're done with him now.  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
! No longer available

Tim Burton's output has been steadily going downhill for years, but this? It's over man, just stop it.

Dumbo better damn well trample a clown to death.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 10:00:51 PM by Niloc »

Offline beepnutz

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
Re: Please send someone to collect Tim Burton, we're done with him now.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 12:58:56 AM »
I like everything Tim Burton has put out, probably will like this. I don't see the downhill, I'm not done with him.

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
  • Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 09:57:44 AM »
Thats a beloved story, it looks good and Im sure it will kill in the box office.  Im a fan of Burton, what has he done thats gone downhill?  Not everything can be a hit.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 10:26:02 AM »
Let's take a look at the Tim Burton IMDB.. looking for the last movie he directed that was both an original IP and good...

I guess 2005's Corpse Bride wasn't bad. I wasn't super into it to anything but it was cute enough. Before that though.. it's Mars Attacks from 1996.

Seems like he's on the Bruce Willis trajectory.

Offline k7

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 11:11:34 AM »
well...

5.2 million views in less than 1 day.

4% thumbs down.

i think he'll be OK. :) there's no Hudson Hawks in there.

for me, hit or miss. but a better run than paul feig as of late. my wife is a fan. we have TheNightmareBeforeXmas stuff up all near long. :)

films:
Beetlejuice 2 (announced)
 2019 Dumbo (post-production)
 2016 Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
 2014/I Big Eyes
 2012 Frankenweenie
 2012 Dark Shadows
 2010/I Alice in Wonderland
 2007 Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
 2005 Corpse Bride
 2005 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
 2003 Big Fish
 2001 Planet of the Apes
 1999 Sleepy Hollow
 1996 Mars Attacks!
 1994 A Visit with Vincent (Video documentary)
 1994 Ed Wood
 1992 Batman Returns
 1990 Edward Scissorhands
 1989 Batman
 1988 Beetlejuice
 Aladdin and His Wonderful Lamp (1986)
 1985 Pee-wee's Big Adventure
 1984 Frankenweenie (Short)
 1983 Hansel and Gretel (TV Movie)
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline Steve O

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 11:34:15 AM »
Tim Burton is doing Dumbo?  I guess if Tarantino can do a Star Trek movie...   :roll:

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 11:59:15 AM »
Im a fan of Burton, what has he done thats gone downhill?

So you've got his early movies, and then the classics of course;

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure
Beetlejuice
Edward Scissorhands
Ed Wood
- may have peaked here

The Batman movies don't hold up so well, but they were good for their time.

Then it starts to dip a little, but he's still doing interesting stuff;

Mars Attacks
- good concept, visually interesting, doesn't completely gel as a movie though.
Sleepy Hollow - looks nice, but it's a bit dull and forgettable

Then it really starts to go off the rails;

Planet of the Apes (remake) - come on, no one liked this version
Big Fish - bit of a recovery, I'd put this in with Sleepy Hollow in the prior group, not terrible but kind of forgettable
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - really pissing people off with these terrible remakes of beloved movies that didn't need remakes Tim - could have just made the sequel
Corpse Bride - didn't do much for me, but I'm not as into these stop-motion movies, not the target audience, better than the remakes by far though
Sweeney Todd - haven't seen this one
Alice in Wonderland - again, freaking terrible, just a lot of bad CGI and no substance
Dark Shadows - dull, boring, slow

Big Eyes
- I have been meaning to watch this one, but given all his other recent films I just haven't been motivated to get around to it.

So a long time since he's made something really great, and at least 4 really terrible ones since 2001.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 12:14:42 PM »
I liked Sweeney Todd quite a bit but its another adaptation.. that said it is better than a lot of his 'adaptations' which range from OK (Sleepy Hollow) to absolute garbage (Apes, Willy Wonka)

I saw that Perrigrenes School for Gifted Youngsters.. it was OK but was trying a bit too hard to be the next Harry Potter.. which obviously it wasn't.

Most of his output beyond his 'classic' era is forgettable though

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 10:38:48 AM »
I think its all in what you like.  To say he's declining in his craft is merely ones perception based on their preferences.  Big Eyes is an awesome movie, a true story and done extremely well.  Sweeny Todd is also a keeper, maybe not for everyone, but it has huge following for people who like that type of thing.  Honestly, he produces stuff that we need more of.  How many more huge Hollywood craptastic big budget movies can we stomach?  I like that someone of his status in the industry produces off-center stuff, just like Tarintino.  We need more people like them making stuff, even if it isn't the greatest thing on the planet.  They actually think outside the box, something 90% of Hollywood doesn't do.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 11:06:12 AM »
I think its all in what you like.  To say he's declining in his craft is merely ones perception based on their preferences.  Big Eyes is an awesome movie, a true story and done extremely well.  Sweeny Todd is also a keeper, maybe not for everyone, but it has huge following for people who like that type of thing.  Honestly, he produces stuff that we need more of.  How many more huge Hollywood craptastic big budget movies can we stomach?  I like that someone of his status in the industry produces off-center stuff, just like Tarintino.  We need more people like them making stuff, even if it isn't the greatest thing on the planet.  They actually think outside the box, something 90% of Hollywood doesn't do.

He used to produce cool off-center films, now he produces big budget hollywood remakes/reboots mostly.. which is why I think a lot of people are disappointed with the way his career has gone.

The Alice in Wonderland films aren't exactly high art and many of his films are strictly cash-ins.

Tarantino is at least still doing his own thing and his movies are better for it. There's only a hint of the old Tim Burton left in most of his more recent films.. sadly.

Offline k7

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 09:29:28 AM »
...Tarantino is at least still doing his own thing and his movies are better for it. There's only a hint of the old Tim Burton left in most of his more recent films.. sadly.

that's a weak argument.

tarantino >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> tim burton>>> me>>>  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>paul feig

i'd cash out too :P
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:31:42 AM by k7 »
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 08:46:00 AM »
He used to produce cool off-center films, now he produces big budget hollywood remakes/reboots mostly.. which is why I think a lot of people are disappointed with the way his career has gone.

The Alice in Wonderland films aren't exactly high art and many of his films are strictly cash-ins.

Tarantino is at least still doing his own thing and his movies are better for it. There's only a hint of the old Tim Burton left in most of his more recent films.. sadly.

There some truth to that, the Alice movies were definitely strokes of his artistic grandeur and nothing more.  Id love to see him do more off-center stuff too but I do wonder if the 'risk' he was allowed back then is not as available to him through the studios he is working with. Like pins, originality in the themes are becoming harder to produce in Hollywood.  Tarantino is definitely creating some good stuff, maybe not totally likable by all the public, but original and most of it is "his" and not the studio pulling the strings. Listening to him on Stern a few months back, he does get blow back from the studio, but he fights them tooth and nail on small and large items in his films.  He said he usually wins lol.