Author Topic: Homeowner's Insurance  (Read 1450 times)

Offline Steve O

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
Homeowner's Insurance
« on: June 14, 2018, 12:06:34 PM »
My homeowner's insurance has gone up approximately 50% over the past two years even though I have been paid no claims.  I suspect it is because of hurricanes hitting the area in back to back years.  Does anyone have an insurance company they would recommend?  I checked the BBB website and even the A+ rated companies are littered with complaints so it is hard to gage who to try.  I also thought about going with no insurance but after watching my neighbor's house burn down a couple of years ago I would rather not go that route.

Offline HammysHangout ( Hammy )

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
    • Coin Op Florida
Re: Homeowner's Insurance
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 12:13:04 PM »
I would reach out to a Broker and see what they can do for you, There are many things that can cause your insurance to go up ( or get cancelled ) , ie, Age of Roof, Claims in your Neighborhood, etc.

https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins:  R&M, AMH, RCT, DW, DE:ST
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

Offline k7

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 12:19:41 PM »
my wife does this. she uses a broker.

i just know if a hurricane hits us, we won't get paid for a decade no matter who we're insured with. :P
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline Big Al

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 12:46:41 PM »
I got tired of Geico raising my rates for nothing.  I finally did something about it and boy am I glad I did.

I called an insurance broker who already did my home and flood.  She just added auto and boat.  My initial savings was around 2,000.00 per year.  She also does umbrella policies for increased insurance coverage.

I recently bundled all my insurance policies to maximize my savings. 

My Broker is ………………………….

<<   Ok, I edited and deleted my agent's name and remainder of my post due to someone's useless snarky response that I did not appreciate.  That's why I just don't respond much anymore and am reluctant to give advice due to the internet funny-man syndrome.  I knew I should have just not said anything.  >>

« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 01:43:43 PM by Big Al »

Offline WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

• Level 8: Psi Corps
  • It's showtime!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 12:47:22 PM »
my wife does this. she uses a broker.

i just know if a hurricane hits us, we won't get paid for a decade no matter who we're insured with. :P

Using a public adjuster really helps this process along. My father has been a public adjust for years and it really makes a difference in the amount given to the homeowner and the speed at which it gets resolved. Hurricane Irma put a 12 foot hole in our roof and we had the first payment(80% of what we needed) in less than 2 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Steve O

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 01:03:55 PM »
I would reach out to a Broker and see what they can do for you, There are many things that can cause your insurance to go up ( or get cancelled ) , ie, Age of Roof, Claims in your Neighborhood, etc.

My broker is on vacation until July 9.  I'll try to reach someone else there.

Offline Shdwknt

• Level 6: Knight Industries
  • Suck it
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 01:06:13 PM »
I had this same issue with Allstate and I just droped them and Switched to Gieco.    My premiums went up $40 a month in the past 3 months for NO reason.

Also - Big Al's post looks like a TV infomercial at 1am didnt it ;)
Red White and Blue IGT Slot, SF2: CE, SF: The MovieNSM hyperbeam 100 disc Jukebox,

Offline Big Al

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 01:44:33 PM »
I had this same issue with Allstate and I just droped them and Switched to Gieco.    My premiums went up $40 a month in the past 3 months for NO reason.

Also - Big Al's post looks like a TV infomercial at 1am didnt it ;)

How very useful you were to this thread funnyman.

Offline mcluvin

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 02:03:12 PM »
Check out Florida Family or Farm Bureau.  I'm with Florida Family and my rate has remained ~$1K per year vs. State Farm wanting ~$2,400 before I canceled them roughly 3 years ago.  Also look into a wind mitigation discount for your roof.  State Farm doesn't offer it, but Florida Family does.

Offline Shdwknt

• Level 6: Knight Industries
  • Suck it
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 02:51:04 PM »
How very useful you were to this thread funnyman.

No hate brother.. I was reading it and just laughing I was like - dude should do commericals. ;)
Red White and Blue IGT Slot, SF2: CE, SF: The MovieNSM hyperbeam 100 disc Jukebox,

Offline Weeze

• "Stay away from the French and sick people"
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 09:44:04 PM »
hate to tell you this but you arent getting home insurance after June 1. this is to keep wise asses like me from carrying home insurance from june through halloween only.
 only way I know of to get insurance in the summer is in the case of buying a house , transferring property from one person to another.
 name one thing that insurance companys can do right for the consumer on and theyll find a way to get around it. However you certainly should try , and I seriously hope you get some results!
 and now , on with the continued organized theft, er,swindlin, er. um stealing. um np ...ok and on with the show. Remember , likd State Harm , we are here for YOU!
 excuse me while I barf!
Current Pins and Stuff: Hurdy Gurdy, Flipper Pool, Mini Pool, Kings & Queens, North Star, Ice Revue, King of Diamonds,  Flipper Clown, Bow & Arrow, Old Chicago, and the one and only, past owners include Wayne Newton, Pia Zadora and half the Village ,the totally awesome and historic, "CANDY APPLE" RED Astro..    
  Rowe "Encore" Jukebox.
Past Pins: way too many to list. plus a couple of vids, and  assorted other stuff.
  For Trade: Hawknole's Dog

Offline PinPup

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 12:50:09 PM »
Good tip Weeze, best to change homeowners insurance after the hurricane season, never would have thought of that. Probably the best deals found then also.
Games Owned: Fish Tales,, Countdown, Joker Poker (YES!), DWHO, EATPM, GRAND LIZARD, 60 Multicade
Past Games Owned: Gilligan's Island,Stock Car EM, Cherry Bell, Black Pyramid, Jokerz!, Hang Glider, Capt. Fantastic, Nip-It, Pro Pool, Dimension, Bally Supreme (wood rail) Genco Spitfire (wood rail). Arcade: Defender, Robbie Roto. (Got carried away at an auction on Roto, sheesh!) WTB: Alien Poker, Paragon, Surfin' Safari, Eight Ball Delux.

Offline Steve O

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 01:58:40 PM »
I called a different broker and got a homeowner's quote that was about 1/3 less than what my current company quoted me.

Offline tufnel1530

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 04:34:05 PM »
Steve,

I have a rep that works for AAA and they do home with a few companies... she did pretty well by me when I bought my new house in Dec

i can PM you her info if you want to try her..

Offline Steve O

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 05:32:05 PM »
Steve,

I have a rep that works for AAA and they do home with a few companies... she did pretty well by me when I bought my new house in Dec

i can PM you her info if you want to try her..

Thanks Todd but I already went with this company.  I tried AAA and their quote was substantially higher than what I was already quoted.  Hopefully, your contact could have done better.  I'll keep you in mind next year when this company doubles their rate.   ;)