Author Topic: E3 2018  (Read 140 times)

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 8: Psi Corps
E3 2018
« on: June 18, 2018, 03:12:36 PM »
This year's E3 seemed kind of uneventful, dull even.

Crackdown 3 - delayed yet again! Holy shit, wasn't this supposed to be an XBONE launch title originally? Really looking like they'll never make anything as good as the first one at this point. All the plans for "we'll process the destructible environments in the cloud!" have turned out to be predictable bullshit.

No announcement of a new Borderlands, which seems odd as the first 2 made a lot of money. Feels like we're well past time for a new, updated game.

Both Sony and Microsoft already talking about new consoles. 2020 seems likely, but one of them (Microsoft, more likely) could pull the trigger early and go for a 2019 launch. I'm hoping the next generation has full backwards compatibility with this generation - since this gen, and most likely the next gen are basically just PC architecture, that shouldn't be too hard to do.

The company that comes out with a new system first has an advantage, but the one that goes second can easily trump the specs of the first one.

Fallout 76 - I love the Fallout games, and so far they've said that you can play this one completely solo (like all the past games) if you want to. They're introducing multiplayer though, and expanding the base-building and crafting from Fallout 4. Have to wait and see on this one, will definitely read the reviews first. If it's a Fallout game with more options, great. If it's a different genre now, probably not so great. Happy that it's out in November anyway, I greatly prefer this "announce then release a few months later" over "announce years ahead of time" plan.

Anthem - Seems like the Bioware of old is dead. EA is probably to blame, as usual. They're no longer making what people want, what they're known for and used to be good at.

Last of Us 2 - I still don't think this needs a sequel, at least not with the same characters. Another story in the same world would be cool though. On the other hand I enjoyed the first one and as long as this is made well... but I don't have a PS4 anyway, hence my hopes that the PS5 will be backwards compatible.

Beyond Good and Evil 2 - First one was great, this has been vaporware forever and continues to be, but since The Last Guardian finally got made...

Call of Cthulhu (remake?) - The trailer for this is just terrible.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 - I just bought Black Ops 1, 2 & 3 on one disc for the X360. Got some catching up to do.

Cyberpunk 2077 - this has tons of potential. I still need to play any of the Witcher games though. Cyberpunk is more my preferred genre though. Definitely looking forward to this one.

Death Stranding - More Kojima nonsense, but could be cool. I'm wondering if there's an actual game in there.

The Elder Scrolls VI - Yeah, don't hold your breath on the release date of this one. All that was shown as a still image

Rage 2 - I gave the first Rage game many chances, on both X360 & PC. More chances than I give most games. It has some good points, but way too many flaws, and it just gets dead boring after you get 4 or 5 hours in. There's definitely a foundation they could build on to make a better game here though, and I hope they do - but the post-apocalyptic setting has been done to death and this is the same publisher that puts out Fallout...

Gears of War 5 - does anyone care at this point? The first 2 games were good, 3rd one went off the rails a bit, didn't care about anything after that. The series never got past "good" to "great" before it started to go downhill IMO.

Halo: Infinite - same issue as Gears I think. Without Bungie making them they lost some important part of the formula. Halo 3 was the last one I liked.

Just Cause 4 - Just Cause 2 was a lot of fun, 3 was too much more-of-the-same IMO. I hope 4 changes it up more. EVERYTHING needs to be destructible, not just a few things highlighted in red.

My Friend Pedro - indie game that looks awesome. Reminds me of Hotline Miami and Superhot, but it's a different style of game. The main character's best friend is a talking banana who tells him to kill things. Described as a "bullet opera".

I'm sure I missed a bunch. Left out some like the next Doom and Wolfenstien, because while they look fine, they also just look like "more of the same" type sequels.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
  • Call me Nummy
Re: E3 2018
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 01:45:17 PM »
Fallout 76 looks good, hard to say how Anthem will go.. lots of potential but yeah.. in their current state can Bioware deliver?

Cyberpunk 2077 looks good

Rage 2 is a weird one. I played through half of the original Rage while waiting for Borderlands 2 to hit. It was an OK game with some interesting mechanics but nothing really that memorable. Once Borderlands 2 hit I never went back to finish it so I'm surprised it's getting a sequel all these years later.

I'm still trying to finish Halo 4, haven't even opened Halo 5 so sure how excited I am for Halo 6. I'll probably wait for the Special Edition to hit $30 new, buy it.. and stick in on a shelf.

Haven't played a gears of War in years.

Nothing really blew my mine at E3.. although I am looking forward to the Star Control reboot.. Star Control Origins:

! No longer available

Apparently there's a Cluster Fuck around the IP since Toys for Bob owned the game content but Accolade owned the name.. which is how this new company got it.. but Toys for Bob wants to make its own Star Control 4.. so lawsuits are flying.. who knows.. but Origins looks like it should be fun if it gets released.

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 8: Psi Corps
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 02:12:45 PM »
I'm still trying to finish Halo 4, haven't even opened Halo 5 so sure how excited I am for Halo 6. I'll probably wait for the Special Edition to hit $30 new, buy it.. and stick in on a shelf.

Halo 4 was just super bland IMO. Very forgettable. You're not missing anything if you don't finish it. It's not a terrible game by any means, it's just fine, not great.
The new team that took over for Bungie totally failed to make their mark and show the series is in good hands. Maybe they didn't care since it was the last one on the X360 and they knew it would sell regardless.

Haven't played Halo 5 since I don't have an XBONE. I'll play it if the XBTWO is backwards compatible I guess.

Offline the architect

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
  • Tournament pinball is fun
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 11:51:07 AM »
I disagree, e3 looked packed to me. I’m more than excited for fallout. Not having to wait 3+ years for another had me pumped. Rage wasn’t terrible, was worth playing through. You also missed dying light 2 which was a fanstastic game. Looking forward to the new bf5 as well. Also keeping my eyes on cyberpunk 2077
wants- nice examples of:      CP, nugent, 2001,  snow derby, Grand Prix, surfer, BSD, FGordon, TAF

current pins:
AC/DC premium, WW, WCS94, WOF, Volley, GotG, twd premium, IM vault, Central Park, pinball (stern EM), Jungle princess (EM), Medusa, alien star,  skateball

http://s468.photobucket.com/user/crewcontractors/library/?sort=3&postlogin=true&src=wap&page=1