Author Topic: Pinball Tourneys: Maximizing your X Strike TGP.  (Read 92 times)

Offline pinballcorpse

• Level 9: Grid Champion
  • Flipping the Dream
Pinball Tourneys: Maximizing your X Strike TGP.
« on: June 29, 2018, 03:58:22 PM »
I posted this on the Florida Tournament Pinball FB page. I realize that some people might not read that page, so I figured I'd repost it on this site also.

The "X strikes" formats are popular and a great way to introduce new players to the fun and thrills of competitive pinball. Since one of the main functions of a sanctioned IFPA event is to earn WPPR points, if time permits, consideration should be given to try and offer/earn as many points as possible, especially if the way to earn 100% requires only a handful more players or a couple more rounds (which are going to be the final few players anyway). 

So, here is a compilation of typical “X strikes“ events with 4 player groups that will generate a 100% TGP. Basically multiply the meaningful games by 4 to give the TGP value.

For rough estimated length of time (in hours), divide the listed number of games by 4. (Basis: the meaningful games are TWICE the number of rounds to finish the event. Then, assume 1/2 hour per round.) Keep in mind: Time can vary greatly depending on the strength of the players and the types of games used and how they are setup.

2 Strike Knockout

Best-of-1 Matches (4 player matches – 3rd/4th place get strikes)
• 256 players –> 26 games towards TGP

Best-of-1 Matches (4 player matches – 4th place get strikes)
• 15 players –> 26 games towards TGP

3 Strike Knockout

• 58 players –> 26 games towards TGP

• 9 players –> 25 games towards TGP

4 Strike Knockout

• 24 players –> 26 games towards TGP

• 8 players –> 25 games towards TGP
"It's better to make it to the finals and play like sh*t than to not make it to the finals at all"-Josh Sharpe, pinball pro and IFPA president