Author Topic: Games at Tampa Lanes  (Read 1823 times)

Offline SUPER 20G

• Level 3: Hologram
Games at Tampa Lanes
« on: June 30, 2018, 03:56:02 PM »
Not sure if I missed this or not but does anyone know what happened to all the games at Tampa Lanes?  I spent a lot of time there growing up.  Sad to see it go.  Definitely “Vintage” there. 
Mortal Kombat/Mortal Kombat 2/Mortal Kombat 4/Killer Instinct/Killer Instinct 2/Marvel vs Capcom 2/CarnEvil/X-Men 4p/House of the Dead/Rush 2049x2/Wrestlemania/Ms.Pac/Street Fighter 2:CE/Aliens/TMNT 4P/Marvel Super Heroes/Fast & The Furious/Bad Dudes/NBA Jam TE/Alien vs Predator/Alien 3: The Gun/Area 51

Offline khabbi

• Level 9: Grid Champion
  • "haub-bee"
Re: Games at Tampa Lanes
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 06:08:15 PM »
Are they all gone?  While I'm not surprised, it's sad if true.  You could stop in there at noon on a Wens and walk through there and there'd be 4 people in the entire building and all of the 100 or so arcade games on and running in those two arcade rooms lol.  The problem for me was there wasn't enough early 80's classics to make me want to go in there (that and the smoke smell). 

I would have liked to snag that F355 Challenge machine that was in there (if the price was right).  Not sure where I'd put it, but I'd find space for it.  :) 
LOOK! Your shoe is untied!

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 09:40:58 PM »
Tampa lanes shut down so the games must have gone somewhere...

Offline SUPER 20G

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 12:09:22 AM »
They had to go somewhere.  Are there any operators in Tampa that would have filled the place with games?  That would be an exciting warehouse to check out if so.  Imagine the work alone pulling out the 2 355 Challenge machines!  I even wonder if all the machines are still inside since they were looking to sell the facility. 
Mortal Kombat/Mortal Kombat 2/Mortal Kombat 4/Killer Instinct/Killer Instinct 2/Marvel vs Capcom 2/CarnEvil/X-Men 4p/House of the Dead/Rush 2049x2/Wrestlemania/Ms.Pac/Street Fighter 2:CE/Aliens/TMNT 4P/Marvel Super Heroes/Fast & The Furious/Bad Dudes/NBA Jam TE/Alien vs Predator/Alien 3: The Gun/Area 51

Offline FUNWIZ

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 08:22:59 AM »
Here's a few items found, first is their website...showing all the games!

http://tampalanes.yolasite.com/arcades.php

https://995qyk.com/2018/05/12/tampa-landmark-closed-doors/

Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Chicago Gaming, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline tufnel1530

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 10:18:49 AM »
I used to go in there and play the lord of the rings they had even though it didnt olay that well.

Sucks it closed but the times i went I cant remember much going on there except the few barflies drinking the cheap tap beer.

I dont ever recall seeing too many people actually bowling or in the game room.

Offline Taygeta

• Trouble In Paradise
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 08:50:11 AM »
After rediscovering pinball digitally, Tampa Lanes was the first location I would swing by to get my fix. Their lineup of Pirates, Shareys Shootout, LOTR, WPT and Sopranos had me hooked while they maintained the LOTR and Sopranos. Will never forget one dude playing a hour and a half game on LOTR while I was playing through the rest of the games.

Sad to see it go, but honestly surprised it hung on as long as it did.

Offline CUJO

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 10:50:04 AM »
They even had a Safecracker in there for a while. I was just discovering local pinball spots then and couldn't figure out the rules (didn't have patience to learn the rules actually).
Current Pins: ST:PRO,MET:PRO, SOUTH PARK, WOZECLE#947, BOP, FGY, TSPP, ST:TNG, KINGS OF STEEL, FRANKENSTEIN, DM, PHARAOH, LOST IN SPACE, STINGRAY, WCS94, METEOR, SPACE JAM, AMIGO, POPEYE, ALIEN POKER, CAVEMAN, HOUDINI, DILE#0829, MBrLE#0566, IM PRO, RUSH PRO, CCRLE#327
Video:  Vertical/ w/BABYSTAR 465 in 1 BOARD
Past Pins: Shaq Attaq, X-Files, Space Station #1, WhoDunnit?, Space Mission, Bally Lost World, Space Station #2, MotorDome

Offline k7

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 11:31:57 AM »
50 lanes in 2012, and 1 kid bowling, 1 guy doing a walk-thru, and no one else in the building. that's a rough business model.

at least there's a video...they don't even have anything on youtube for don carter's in boca, where i played vids back in the 90s...

nothing for gran prix in hollywood. wtf, youtubers?

from wiz's link:

!cookies taste like beer...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 11:37:30 AM by k7 »
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline tufnel1530

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 11:34:23 AM »
After rediscovering pinball digitally, Tampa Lanes was the first location I would swing by to get my fix. Their lineup of Pirates, Shareys Shootout, LOTR, WPT and Sopranos had me hooked while they maintained the LOTR and Sopranos. Will never forget one dude playing a hour and a half game on LOTR while I was playing through the rest of the games.

Sad to see it go, but honestly surprised it hung on as long as it did.

I think I know the guy you are talking about... I stopped in there once to play LOTR and there was a guy sitting on a stool lighting the game up. I ended up just watching him for an hour or something.  :P

he explained to me all the rules and stacking stuff but at the time I didnt really follow what he was talking about

I saw him there a few times so I guess he just came in to beat up that game

Offline FUNWIZ

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 11:46:46 AM »
Just imagine everyone gone home, and sending the cleaning machine down each lane for waxing before leaving, and what it costs to do that and to power up everything all day.  Geez, you would need to partially own the power plant.
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Chicago Gaming, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline Pinball Shark

• Level 5: Power User!
    • PinballShark.com
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 01:52:37 PM »
I stopped by there in late April, I think. We were the only ones in the place in the middle of the afternoon. The LOTR was still there and in the worst possible condition. The right shooter lane side rail was worn through to the cabinet. All the drivers and fighting games...still there from years ago. Asteroids was still there and working nicely. In 1998, I would go there every day at lunch and play Monster Bash, TOTAN, Championship Pub and I remember when PIN2K arrived there also. Bye, bye Tampa Lanes.
www.pinballshark.com
Tampa Pinball Repair

F L O R I D A P I N B A L L . C O M

Offline Billk

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 12:01:17 AM »
Tampa lanes owner was the father in law to the owner of Rocky`s replay
fyi

Offline Pinsanity

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 08:59:35 AM »
50 lanes in 2012, and 1 kid bowling, 1 guy doing a walk-thru, and no one else in the building. that's a rough business model.

at least there's a video...they don't even have anything on youtube for don carter's in boca, where i played vids back in the 90s...

nothing for gran prix in hollywood. wtf, youtubers?

from wiz's link:

!cookies taste like beer...

Awesome memories of Don Carter’s in nova and used to skip school to drive down to Grand Prix Hollywood! Those were the days!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pins: TWD Prem, STH prem, Twilight Zone, Alien LV, Jaws Premium, Time Machine - DE

Offline Pinsanity

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2018, 09:54:25 AM »
Awesome memories of Don Carter’s in nova and used to skip school to drive down to Grand Prix Hollywood! Those were the days!!

Boca not Nova

Pins: TWD Prem, STH prem, Twilight Zone, Alien LV, Jaws Premium, Time Machine - DE