Author Topic: Finally got a NES classic  (Read 109 times)

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
  • Call me Nummy
Finally got a NES classic
« on: July 08, 2018, 10:11:09 AM »
No, it wasn't because of the re-release. On the day those were launched I went by 2 stores (a Target and a Gamestop) that were near where I was going anyway.. and they were very much sold out instantly. I saw reports of them on shelves in Walmarts like 60 miles away but that would mean going into a Walmart and I'm not driving 120 miles for one of these things. Still can't fathom why Nintendo is keeping these scarce.. whatever.

Was at a Pawn Shop yesterday and they had one for $49.99 CIB, so score!

It's a fun unit, very well made and well polished. The controller cable is comically short.. I mean nobody saw this as an issue? I'm not even sure if it's as long as the cables on my Famicom. Given nobody sits directly in front of their TV anymore this is a bonehead move.

Hacking these things is super super easy.. although with only 200mb of available space to add ROMs I'm happy to only have the NES version as I'd imagine the SNES roms would fill it up quickly. It seems like people have figured out how to add additional emulators to it but at that point you have to ask yourself why you don't just get a raspberry pi instead.

Offline tufnel1530

• Level 2: Villager
Re: Finally got a NES classic
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 02:20:58 PM »
I had one my brother gave me for a while.

its well done. Kinda got bored with it pretty quick though but I already had some of the better games on my Wii U

yah I have no idea what they were thinking with the super short chords.

i would get the SNES one if it had super tennis I played that to death and beat it more then once.

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 8: Psi Corps
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 12:53:50 PM »
It's a bad design but I think the idea was to use a long HDMI and USB cable and have the NES sitting right next to you so you could hit the reset button easily.

Either way it's cables everywhere.

I was thinking of getting some of the wireless controllers, but they might introduce lag, and I don't leave the mini consoles setup all the time anyway. I got some extension cables already too.

Offline ratsflif

• Level 8: Psi Corps
  • All your base
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 01:02:40 PM »
Both the nes and snes classics use the standard Wii controller port.  There are plenty of extension cables available.
Gyruss, Metal Slug 6, Neo Geo 4 slot, Operation Wolf, Shinobi, Aliens, NBA Jam, Omega Race, Dodonpachi Dai Ou Jou Black Label, Double Dragon, Super Street Fighter 4 AE, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Unlimited, Cocktail w/60-1

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
  • Call me Nummy
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 01:31:39 PM »
Yeah I just picked up an extender.. and it works fine.

Been playing the unit quite a bit, it is a lot of fun. I like the easy save states as well.

Offline Shdwknt

• Level 5: Power User!
  • Suck it
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 11:53:12 AM »
use the wireless controllers -- they work fine..
As for hacking it.. there are multiple mods to add internal SD card, and even external hdd options.  It runs pretty decent.. but you can flash it to be a US SNES - 225 snes roms, the 22 roms preinstalled, and the dual boot to the nes OS with the 30 games.

you can get a LOT on that little 200mb :)
Red White and Blue IGT Slot, Mortal Kombat 1 original cab - with switcher for MK II, SF2: WW, SF2: CE, SF: The Movie, X-men Vs SF, Revolution X, Konami Simpsons cab (with NBA JAM  and TMNT in it); NSM hyperbeem 100 disc Jukebox, Califorina speed, Crusin' world x2 Linked; Hyperbeam