Author Topic: A Long Shot  (Read 1183 times)

Offline 0geist0

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
A Long Shot
« on: July 10, 2018, 05:39:57 AM »
I know this is a long shot but thought I'd post anyway.
I need to replace the mower deck on my John Deere L 110 lawn tractor.
Looking for one in nice shape and not rusted out, the one on it is a 42" deck. One from a Scotts tractor will work too.
Let me know is any of you have one to sell.
Thanks in advance,
  Bob.
Pins, Stern Star trek Pro. Stern Mandalorian Premium, Stern Godzilla Pro.

WTB A small island
FS  My bad Ideas

Offline mcluvin

Re: A Long Shot
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 10:38:00 AM »
Craigslist.  There's one listed for $25 in Ocala.  Good luck!

https://ocala.craigslist.org/grd/d/mower-deck/6628803185.html

Offline Weeze

• Level 10: Timelord
  • "Stay away from the French and sick people"
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 10:41:39 AM »
Bob,
 the 100 series is the bottom rung of the JD ladded. they are made only for the two box stores. I had one that broke down every 6 hours of operation. I argued and argued with JD on the phone, was very dissapointed and traded it in at the JD dealers place up North of me. I do not say this to rag on your mower, nope not at all. I had such a bad expierience with a company with a satisfaction rating off the chart. Ok so I treaded that in, oh by the way the service area at the dealer was 80% 100 series mowers in all kinds of disrepair. I traded in in on a 300 series that has run up I dont know how many hours, I used to do 6 lawns in the area plus mine.
 OK so heres what I know
 For the most part the guarantee on your mower is useless, now the one GOOD thing is your local dealership is full of 100 series mowers that have been scrapped out. its the mower not the motor by the way. you pretty much have to go to a dealer to get anything on YOUR mower but you can bet your ass they have every single part you ever dreamed of , now that doesnt guarantee theyll sell you a used part. your best bet is probably a independent mowere shop,  large one, where they undoubtably have totalled out mowers .
sorry for the bad review  , i was personally amazed that john deere would sell thousands of mowers that are lemons and sell them on the basis of thier good name.
if you want a JD always buy form a dealer. they dont evn carry the 100 series by the way, ony Loews and Home Depot carrry 100s.
the service manager told me on the sly that every JD dealership is clogged with busted 100s.
good luck on your search!
Current Pins and Stuff: Hurdy Gurdy, Flipper Pool, Mini Pool, Kings & Queens, North Star, Ice Revue, King of Diamonds,  Flipper Clown, Bow & Arrow, Old Chicago, and the one and only, past owners include Wayne Newton, Pia Zadora and half the Village ,the totally awesome and historic, "CANDY APPLE" RED Astro..    
  Rowe "Encore" Jukebox.
Past Pins: way too many to list. plus a couple of vids, and  assorted other stuff.
  For Trade: Hawknole's Dog

Offline 0geist0

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 11:13:18 AM »
Bob,
 the 100 series is the bottom rung of the JD ladded. they are made only for the two box stores. I had one that broke down every 6 hours of operation. I argued and argued with JD on the phone, was very dissapointed and traded it in at the JD dealers place up North of me. I do not say this to rag on your mower, nope not at all. I had such a bad expierience with a company with a satisfaction rating off the chart. Ok so I treaded that in, oh by the way the service area at the dealer was 80% 100 series mowers in all kinds of disrepair. I traded in in on a 300 series that has run up I dont know how many hours, I used to do 6 lawns in the area plus mine.
 OK so heres what I know
 For the most part the guarantee on your mower is useless, now the one GOOD thing is your local dealership is full of 100 series mowers that have been scrapped out. its the mower not the motor by the way. you pretty much have to go to a dealer to get anything on YOUR mower but you can bet your ass they have every single part you ever dreamed of , now that doesnt guarantee theyll sell you a used part. your best bet is probably a independent mowere shop,  large one, where they undoubtably have totalled out mowers .
sorry for the bad review  , i was personally amazed that john deere would sell thousands of mowers that are lemons and sell them on the basis of thier good name.
if you want a JD always buy form a dealer. they dont evn carry the 100 series by the way, ony Loews and Home Depot carrry 100s.
the service manager told me on the sly that every JD dealership is clogged with busted 100s.
good luck on your search!
I got this from a dealer brand new and I have been using it for 12 years. 

WTB A small island
FS  My bad Ideas

Offline 0geist0

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 11:35:35 AM »
Craigslist.  There's one listed for $25 in Ocala.  Good luck!

https://ocala.craigslist.org/grd/d/mower-deck/6628803185.html
Ocala is a little far for me to go but thanks for the lead.

WTB A small island
FS  My bad Ideas

Offline mcluvin

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 11:42:40 AM »
Ocala is a little far for me to go but thanks for the lead.

I wouldn't do it without pics, but $25 for something that cost $750 new?  I might if I couldn't find one closer.  They seem to be pretty common on CL though, at least up here anyway.

Offline 0geist0

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 11:59:57 AM »
I wouldn't do it without pics, but $25 for something that cost $750 new?  I might if I couldn't find one closer.  They seem to be pretty common on CL though, at least up here anyway.
I can buy a bare shell for $550. My spindles and idler pulleys are still good.  I really don't want to but as opposed to an 8 hour round trip I might.

WTB A small island
FS  My bad Ideas

Offline Weeze

• "Stay away from the French and sick people"
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 12:33:24 PM »
wow, I sound like a idiot.
 thing is I know these things to be true, I coyuldnt keep bearings in the thing, burned up every 10 hours. .
I am at a loss for words........I dont know why your mower is a champ........(weeze walks away muttering to himself " But honest officer, I was just helpin the sheep over the fence"...as he dissapears into the swamp.
Current Pins and Stuff: Hurdy Gurdy, Flipper Pool, Mini Pool, Kings & Queens, North Star, Ice Revue, King of Diamonds,  Flipper Clown, Bow & Arrow, Old Chicago, and the one and only, past owners include Wayne Newton, Pia Zadora and half the Village ,the totally awesome and historic, "CANDY APPLE" RED Astro..    
  Rowe "Encore" Jukebox.
Past Pins: way too many to list. plus a couple of vids, and  assorted other stuff.
  For Trade: Hawknole's Dog

Offline mcluvin

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 01:06:42 PM »
 thing is I know these things to be true, I coyuldnt keep bearings in the thing, burned up every 10 hours. .
I am at a loss for words........I dont know why your mower is a champ........(weeze walks away muttering to himself " But honest officer, I was just helpin the sheep over the fence"...as he dissapears into the swamp.

Nah, based on your post, I'd probably go down to the local John Deere dealer, find the low person on the totem pole, and offer them a few bucks if they ever come across a good, used shell.  :)

Offline 0geist0

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 01:24:21 PM »
John Deere makes two versions of the 100 Series mowers. One for their dealers and one for the big box stores. The ones for the HD and Lowes are made to different specs than the ones for their dealers. That's why they're junk.

WTB A small island
FS  My bad Ideas

Offline 0geist0

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 02:01:14 PM »
Picked up a brand new complete 42" deck for $400
I had to modify the rear lift brackets a little, it was off a newer lawn tractor.

WTB A small island
FS  My bad Ideas

Offline HammysHangout ( Hammy )

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 03:43:00 PM »
i had a JD (Scott's ) L17.542 42",  ran great, very dependable, gave it to my brother after i moved into my new house as i no longer needed it.
https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins:  R&M, AMH, RCT, DW, DE:ST
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

Offline 0geist0

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 04:08:10 PM »
They are worth what you pay for them.
Almost 600 hours on mine

WTB A small island
FS  My bad Ideas

Offline Sid

• @!#?@!
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2018, 04:41:12 PM »
I have a LX176 that kicks ass.  That thing is a work horse.

I do know people that have bought the LT tractors from home depot/Lowes and they were junk.
C.B.B.B.M. @!#?@!

Phil.

Offline 0geist0

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2018, 05:14:39 PM »
I have a LX176 that kicks ass.  That thing is a work horse.

I do know people that have bought the LT tractors from home depot/Lowes and they were junk.
Yep, it pays to buy from the dealer

WTB A small island
FS  My bad Ideas