Author Topic: IDEA: Florida Pinball Circuit for 2019  (Read 485 times)

Offline pinballcorpse

• Level 9: Grid Champion
  • Flipping the Dream
IDEA: Florida Pinball Circuit for 2019
« on: July 13, 2018, 11:03:11 AM »
Working on the idea for a Florida Pinball Circuit series to start in 2019.

Preliminary thoughts

1  What is it ?

The Florida Pinball Circuit will incorporate a series of already established IFPA Florida events (maybe 15-20, not sure of exact number yet) that constitute the “Florida Pinball Circuit”

2 Who is eligible?

The Florida Pinball Circuit will be geared primarily toward Florida Players and a mixture of events. Since all of the events are IFPA events they, are open to anyone.  But the nature of this series will essentially assure that it is for us in Florida.

3 Where and When?

The Florida Pinball Circuit will run in a calendar year just like SCS (but have no relationship with SCS). The events will be spread out across the year and more importantly be available in each region of Florida that is already offering IFPA events.

For example, based on locations of recent IFPA Florida events (NOT concrete locations yet) there should be 3 events each in:

3 SE Florida (West Palm/Broward/Dade)
3 SW Florida (Naples/Fort Meyers)
3 West Florida (Tampa and surrounding area)
3 Central Florida (Orlando and surrounding area)
3 East Florida (DeLand, Ormond surrounding area)
3 NE Florida (Jax/St. Augustine and surrounding area)

This would be 18 events.

I don’t think Tallahassee area is doing any more events?

4 Style and Type of Tournaments

The events that make up the Florida Pinball Circuit will already be part of the normal IFPA calendar.  Some will probably be X Strikes events, or Herb traditional.

In any case, they should be one-off type events, and preferably not part of any club’s weekly/monthly league meetings that could affect their standings, or part of a large show that will already attract out of state players.

5 Florida Pinball Circuit Point Distribution

Each tourney that is part of the Florida Pinball Circuit will award points at the event for placing that are NOT a function of how many players, TGP etc.

Florida Circuit Event Points(tentative)
1st 50
2nd 45
3rd 42
4th 40
5th 39
6th 38
Etc.

In other words, regardless of size or style of the event, each event will award points towards the Florida Pinball Circuit. The WPPR points will count as usual and may vary, but the amount of WPPR points and players will NOT affect Florida Pinball Circuit points.  This gives more players in more Florida regions a chance to compete and qualify.

Florida Pinball Circuit Points will be tabulated based off the official IFPA standings for that event.  In the event of tied positions, (such as from a strikes event) the average of the awarded Circuit points for each individual spot will be assigned to each player.

Example, if the distribution from an IFPA event was
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 7, 7, 10, 10, 10, 10, 13 etc.

The Florida Pinball Circuit points would be
50, 45, 42, 40, 38.5, 38.5, 36.5, 36.5, 33.5, 33.5, 33.5, 33.5, 31, etc. 

Again, this is a hypothetical.   

A master chart will be updated for all to view throughout the year.

6 Qualifying for the Florida Pinball Circuit Championships

The top 32 players with the most collected Florida Pinball Circuit points in the year advance to the Florida Pinball Circuit Championships. If there were 18 events at the point distribution above, 900points would be the top composite score.

There will be a single one-day Championship tourney.   Details to come.   

7 Fees.

Each IFPA event will already have entry fees associated with it.  None of that money will affect the Florida Pinball Circuit.  There will NOT be a separate fund. 

Regarding the Florida Pinball Circuit itself, on the day of the Florida Pinball Circuit Championship, all players participating will pay a one time entry fee. (I am thinking something along the lines of $20-$25) All monies will be given back to the players.  Purse distribution to be determined. 

8 Glory

In addition to cash prizes, the top 4 winners also will receive trophies, with the 1st place finisher receiving the title of 20xx Florida Pinball Circuit Champion.

9 Who is in charge?

I would keep track of all the Florida Pinball Circuit data, probably on our Florida Tournament Pinball page, and also the Village for non-FB users.  Of course, I would welcome any help.

10 How are tournaments for the Florida Pinball Circuit picked?

That’s where YOU come in.  I would hope the regional TDs and players would propose some events for 2019.  Recall, I am thinking about 3 in a region, and NOT all at the same place.  I am thinking a proposed Florida Pinball Circuit event should probably NOT be something that already is a large, prestigious solo event, like Point Monsters Championship, or Free Play Florida (which is a Stern Pro Circuit)

Looking toward 2019, so we have some time, but it will be here quickly.

Welcoming any feedback and looking forward to making this happen.

Jeff Palmer

"It's better to make it to the finals and play like sh*t than to not make it to the finals at all"-Josh Sharpe, pinball pro and IFPA president

Offline the architect

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
  • Tournament pinball is fun
Re: IDEA: Florida Pinball Circuit for 2019
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 12:34:42 PM »
Can add acpr, probably als Christmas tourney and a larger event at Café one to this list right off the bat.
wants- nice examples of:      CP, nugent, 2001,  snow derby, Grand Prix, surfer, BSD, FGordon, TAF

current pins:
AC/DC premium, WW, WCS94, WOF, Volley, KISS pro, twd pro, IM vault, Central Park, pinball (stern EM), Jungle princess (EM), Medusa, alien star,  skateball, polo (EM)

http://s468.photobucket.com/user/crewcontractors/library/?sort=3&postlogin=true&src=wap&page=1

Offline NormaJ

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 12:37:48 PM »
It's so funny, Jeff. I have been thinking of our local tournaments this way for quite a while and mentally keeping track of who wins what, what events seem to bring out the "heavy hitters", who does well in those events, etc. To me, there are some tournaments that are "majors", and some folks do well in those over and over and don't get a special shout-out for such great feats except to maybe make the State Championships. This sort of "Florida Tour" would change that and encourage TD's to keep having these great gatherings. (Oh, and where's the credit for winning the "Grand Slam"? lol.)

I agree that creating this format assures us an award that is solely about globetrotting all year long in the state of Florida! I like your overall ideas, but I think the number of tournaments might be too high. I would suggest two tournaments per region, which would make 12 total and keep things a little more exclusive. (Your division designations make sense. I think many of us have mentally divided the tournaments geographically this way.)

Yes, these should not be leagues! We Southeast folks have no real league right now, and even if we did it would be impossible for everyone to make it every night. It needs to be single events to build excitement. And doing it statewide all year negates the "Eric Stone effect" where someone (ahem!) qualifies in four states and has his pick of where to compete. This format is by and about Florida! Outsiders begone!

I would like to add a twist to your ranking system. I think winners should automatically get a bye into the Championship. NASCAR (finally!) decided that winning a race actually means something, and winners automatically get into the NASCAR playoffs. Doing things this way also rewards players who pull off amazing first-time wins. (And, wow, have we had a TON of new faces atop the podium this year!)

So, that's the good news. My real concerns are about possible politicking and ruffled feathers. Who truly decides who makes up the "circuit"? In tennis and NASCAR there is a governing body that declares what events are "greater" than others. I don't want to see people stop having tournaments because they are perceived as less important. (They are all important! I love everyone who has a tournament! You give me somewhere to go on the weekend! lol) Do TD's have to "earn" their way into the conversation? Meaning, must you have had the tournament for at least three years? Have at least 50 total attendees over that time? Commit to continuing to hold it the next two or three years? Must venues be rotated every year or every other year to give others a chance to "be on the circuit?"

And if Free Play and Point Monsters are off the table, is this circuit dedicated to the homeowners who graciously open their private collections to us? (I am still amazed this happens! I cannot thank any of you enough!) Or should we focus on established pinball venues who can practically guarantee a tournament?

I will tentatively commit to helping make this happen, Jeff, if it happens. Just let me know how I can help. Thanks!

Offline Raikus

• Building an Arcade Ark
    • Flippin' Great Pinball
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 12:39:13 PM »
We have been talking about resuming tournaments in Tallahassee, but making them quarterly instead of monthly. We would love to offer a circuit event for players in this area 

There's also tournaments that occur in the Pensacola area in the Gulf Coast Pinball group that may be worth considering.
Vids:Red Tent, Mr. Do, Joust cocktail, Sinistar, Battlezone, SI Trimline x2, Asteroids Deluxe, Punchout, Pac-Man, Baby Pac, Red Baron cockpit, Tempest, NSS, Crazy Taxi, Centipede, Blast City...
Pins: GB Pro, ES, WW, RS, STTNG, PotO, Bad Cats, Flash Gordon, High Speed, LW3, Sorcerer, Firepower, Flash, 8BD, Card Whiz, Future Spa, Joker Poker, World Fair, Grand Prix, Mata Hari.

Offline MilitiaMan

• Show Organizer
  • Level 10: Timelord
  • www.jaxarcadex.com
    • Jacksonville Arcade Expo
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 01:35:47 PM »
Jax Expo 3
March 1-3, 2019

Dates still tentative until we sign a contract with venue.
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 01:42:15 PM »
NormaJ, if the idea of making if from 3 to 2 events per region is only to better serve the ones who are into globetrotting, then I have to disagree with that and leave it at 3.  But its possible I am not understanding your comment either.

Offline pinballcorpse

• Flipping the Dream
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 04:27:40 PM »
Getting lots of feedback both here, on FB and in private.  Thanks, everyone! 

A few responses to what I am reading here:

@ architect:

Yes, that is the right general idea, different events at different places.  Of note, if ACPR and Al's Christmas party, are at the same location (ie Al's garage), I'd consider picking one or the other at  Al's place.  I am thinking that having unique places allows for different games, and setups, but there is nothing currently in writing prohibiting multiple events at one place as long as it doesn't exceed the allotted amount for the region-3 currently.  I am trying to avoid any one venue or geographic location from dominating the circuit.

@ NormaJ:

The exact number is not set, but if anything, I would say it could be TOO LOW (especially if Tallahassee adds some events). The most important things for this to initially be "fair" are 1) there is an equal distribution per region, 2) the tourneys are spread out per year, and 3) people have a shot without committing to "just the majors" or only having just 1 or 2 shots in their region.   

Maybe the idea is best X out of Y (best 15 out of 20 for example) so people can miss a few events and not be hurt.  Still thinking here....

Now, will there be politicking and complaining? Yes.  That is going to happen no matter what. But I think this is a very good idea for our state, especially since we as a state are already doing most of the leg work.  Meaning: we in Florida have events all over the state and every single month.  Look how far we have progressed !

As far as picking the events, I have reached out to, and am hoping to hear from various TDs in each region.  Maybe there is a voting process for the players in that region, maybe the community as a whole (ie the state votes). I am open to suggestions on how to pick. I DO NOT necessarily want to be the one saying what is or is not a Florida Pinball Circuit Event.  I need player feedback

I am NOT trying to invent new tourneys that compete with the existing. Things that already exist should be considered. There are lots of IFPA events to choose from.   Like @ architect suggested: Cafe, One, Als' for example.  Just look at the repeat venues on the IFPA list.

Regarding a winner getting an automatic entry, maybe. But that means 18 potential automatics.  None of those winners would have any incentive to explore the remaining circuit. I am thinking if someone is playing in the Circuit Championship, someone has played in various spots in the state. Again, it is not necessary to travel to every single event, but intuitively it should have to be more than one.

Regarding what events are "greater", the idea is that all events are equal in the circuit series with the same amount for each region.  A small afternoon get together will award as much as a 3-day show.  This format will encourage more people to check out local mom and pop events they might not otherwise attend.  They award the same Florida Circuit points (but probably different WPPR points).  It is possible that a Florida Pinball Circuit event now draws more players than the tourney would have normally. 

@ Raikus:

Yes, I'd love to see more events up your way. It would encourage some people to travel and explore your venue for sure! Let me know and please post on FB pages.

@ MilitiaMan:

Cool ! The Circuit schedule is certainly in its infancy.  If the players decide they want JAX to be in the Florida Pinball Circuit, that could work.  As I said, I was initially thinking of trying to avoid shows that will attract out of state players, because I am thinking Florida Circuit points should go to Florida players.  Again, thinking out loud here. I will certainly promote and support the JAX show no matter what !  Please consider posting on the Florida Tournament Pinball FB Page.

-------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, thank you everyone, looking forward to furthering the discussion.

post here

OR

post on Facebook:  Florida Tournament Pinball page https://www.facebook.com/groups/960006820809365/

OR

email: pinballcorpse @ yahoo dot com

OR

cell/text:  954 952 529 three

"It's better to make it to the finals and play like sh*t than to not make it to the finals at all"-Josh Sharpe, pinball pro and IFPA president

Offline deadlander

• Level 6: Knight Industries
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 04:38:22 PM »
I would suggest perhaps Karl could host ancient city as he now has over 20 excellent pins at his location but I’ll leave that with Joe and Karl.  I’m more than happy to host both but definitely add our 12/2/18 Christmas party tourney to the circuit. Very exciting stuff guys.
Regards,
Al
Danny,  there's a lot of.... Well badness in the world today. I see it in the court everyday. I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber.... didn't want to do it.... felt I owed it to them.

Offline Hamster

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 04:56:01 PM »
How would the points work for tournaments in match.play knock outs?

1.2.3.4.555.888.12.12.12 ( ie, several plays "Tie" at a given place )

for instance, i tied with 6 other players in last nights Tournament:  ( i was only playing to help boost player count, I have a bad right rotator? cuff / shoulder, so it hard to play pinball) 

32nd Place:

Bill Stillwell    
Brian Cheaney    
Josh Smith    
Donny White    
Steve Dievlio    
Todd LeCuyer    
Randy Williams    
http://www.coinopflorida.com // http://freeplayflorida.com

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - eeguru

current: pins: TSPP, AMH, T3, ST:TNG, ST:LE, RG, RCT, DW. DE:ST, WW
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, (2) Sega Uni, Dual Outrun 2 Driver, OmegaRace, Ataxx, Reactor, Crystal Castle, MultiVector, Cloak and Dagger

Offline pinballcorpse

• Flipping the Dream
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 05:10:13 PM »
How would the points work for tournaments in match.play knock outs?

1.2.3.4.555.888.12.12.12 ( ie, several plays "Tie" at a given place )

for instance, i tied with 6 other players in last nights Tournament:  ( i was only playing to help boost player count, I have a bad right rotator? cuff / shoulder, so it hard to play pinball) 

32nd Place:

Bill Stillwell    
Brian Cheaney    
Josh Smith    
Donny White    
Steve Dievlio    
Todd LeCuyer    
Randy Williams   

I addressed this in the first post above, excerpt repeated here: 

-------

Florida Pinball Circuit Points will be tabulated based off the official IFPA standings for that event.  In the event of tied positions, (such as from a strikes event) the average of the awarded Circuit points for each individual spot will be assigned to each player.

Example, if the distribution from an IFPA event was
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 7, 7, 10, 10, 10, 10, 13 etc.

The Florida Pinball Circuit points would be
50, 45, 42, 40, 38.5, 38.5, 36.5, 36.5, 33.5, 33.5, 33.5, 33.5, 31, etc. 

Again, this is a hypothetical.   
------------------

Offline getyourselfahotdog

• Level 6: Knight Industries
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 10:36:22 PM »
I love this idea, just seeing the turnout TBPL and LSOG and Vector has generated with so many new faces and passionate players who have stumbled across tournaments via websites like the village, Facebook pages like TBPL and Florida Tournaments is really exciting. After playing against and talking with so many new players I really like  Norma's idea of winning a seat. I think it might have the opposite effect and draw in more new players  . I also agree with Jeff that there can't be 18 free spots or it does defeat the purpose of a "circuit." Hope there's a way to find a NASCAR type rule to incorporate!

Offline pinballcorpse

• Flipping the Dream
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 08:31:36 AM »
Glad to hear you like the idea, Dan.  I am getting lots of positive feedback from players who are excited about this. 

There are lots of details to iron out, but I think this is very doable and will elevate tournament pinball in Florida to another level. 

Offline freakandgeek

• The GameRoom Blog
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2018, 03:49:57 PM »
Not Florida...but The Pinball Palace is just an hour from Jax and I know the owner is interested in having tournaments there. Has about 100 machines now, so plenty of games and space.
http://GameRoomBlog.com
================================
Creature, WH20, BSD, Shadow, TZ, TWD Premium, Space Station, Meteor, Fireball II, Elektra, Jungle Lord

Offline the architect

• Tournament pinball is fun
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2018, 08:03:01 PM »
Kevin- is Kelly still the tech there? Just wonder if he’s “hip”, to how they would need to be set up. When Lauren and I went the legs were switched on a kiss pro, not sure he even knew.
wants- nice examples of:      CP, nugent, 2001,  snow derby, Grand Prix, surfer, BSD, FGordon, TAF

current pins:
AC/DC premium, WW, WCS94, WOF, Volley, KISS pro, twd pro, IM vault, Central Park, pinball (stern EM), Jungle princess (EM), Medusa, alien star,  skateball, polo (EM)

http://s468.photobucket.com/user/crewcontractors/library/?sort=3&postlogin=true&src=wap&page=1

Offline freakandgeek

• The GameRoom Blog
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 07:59:15 PM »
Kevin- is Kelly still the tech there? Just wonder if he’s “hip”, to how they would need to be set up. When Lauren and I went the legs were switched on a kiss pro, not sure he even knew.

Kelley is the owner. No he is not really hip to the tourney scene and setup...but I could explain it to him and help get a bank in the proper setup.

He has a good bit of oldies and EMs that might not need much done to them. The Seawitch and Lightning are probably good for a tourney already as is.
http://GameRoomBlog.com
================================
Creature, WH20, BSD, Shadow, TZ, TWD Premium, Space Station, Meteor, Fireball II, Elektra, Jungle Lord