Author Topic: Screen Adjustment Help  (Read 153 times)

Offline scarabaeus

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
Screen Adjustment Help
« on: July 13, 2018, 05:03:38 PM »
I got a Midway cocktail in a few days ago. Before I loaded it in the truck it had a clear picture with a V-hold issue that I was going to adjust out when I got home.

After I pulled it from the truck it looks like it has the same V-hold issue with something else now:

Video of the Issue

Is this an adjustment to the H-Freq?  I've been playing with it for about 30 minutes and that's the best I can get it.

Thanks!

Offline FUNWIZ

• Level 9: Grid Champion
Re: Screen Adjustment Help
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 07:05:22 PM »
Well, to be certain how we can help you to fix it, need to know exactly which monitor you have in your game.  Is it original?  Is it a standard 19, or the smaller 13?  Is it a Wells with the 2 plug in boards?  Does it have single sync wire or double?  Do you know how to adjust the horz freq coil?  Do you have the plastic tool needed, as anything metal will distort the image?  Also could be in the game board.  What game?  Is the board mounted correctly and inside a cage?  Do you have a DMM?
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline scarabaeus

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 08:45:01 PM »
We need to know exactly which monitor you have in your game.  Is it original? 

I don’t know if it was replaced, but the chassis it is an Electrochrome G07-CB0 19”.

Do you know how to adjust the horz freq coil?  Do you have the plastic tool needed, as anything metal will distort the image?

No, I’ve been trying to just adjust using the H-Freq knob.

Also could be in the game board.  What game?  Is the board mounted correctly and inside a cage?

Possibly. The game is Tokio. I went through and reseated all of the connections to the game board with no luck, but I can’t try swapping the board since I have no other boards that match the pinout. It doesn’t have a cage, but I can steal one from another game to see if it helps. (The game coins up, plays sound, and responds to controls as far as I can tell.)

Do you have a DMM?

I do, but I’m practically worthless with it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 08:50:00 PM by scarabaeus »

Offline FUNWIZ

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 09:24:16 PM »
Ok, that monitor has 4 syncs, you should see 2 sets of connectors, one smaller connector than the other above the larger one, those are the sync lines.  Should have 2 wires possibly tied together to one wire.  The larger connector below that will have red, green, blue and black wire.  If you have more than 4 wires on the lower connector, probably the sync wiring is wrong.   
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline scarabaeus

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 10:01:26 PM »
Ok, that monitor has 4 syncs, you should see 2 sets of connectors, one smaller connector than the other above the larger one, those are the sync lines.  Should have 2 wires possibly tied together to one wire.  The larger connector below that will have red, green, blue and black wire.  If you have more than 4 wires on the lower connector, probably the sync wiring is wrong.   

Fixed!

While I was wrangling to get a picture of the connectors for you, I noticed that the width coil was bent over at a 45-degree angle. I pushed it back up (to match the diagram on the side of the chassis) and voila, perfect picture! Thanks for your help man!

FYI it does look like there’s a fifth brown wire going from the lower connector to the neck board. I don’t know why that’s there and I’m hoping it doesn’t cause me any issues down the road.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 10:05:08 PM by scarabaeus »

Offline FUNWIZ

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 10:04:19 PM »
Glad to help, and thankful you didn't get the S... kicked out of you touching it while plugged in...  LOL

Offline scarabaeus

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 10:08:30 PM »
Glad to help, and thankful you didn't get the S... kicked out of you touching it while plugged in...  LOL

Lol yeah I unplugged it before I did that.

And had you seen me gently adjusting the vhold with wooden chopsticks so there’d be less chance of touching something, you probably would have laughed.

Offline FUNWIZ

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 11:18:18 PM »
If you have trouble with it loosing pix again, check that coil for broken solder connections, they don't like being moved much.