Author Topic: Garbage Pail Kids documentary  (Read 18780 times)

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
Garbage Pail Kids documentary
« on: November 13, 2018, 06:10:48 AM »
Garbage Pail Kids documentary

https://www.30yearsofgarbage.com/

Not a valid vimeo URL
Garbage Pail Kids have been discussed here a bit in the past... in 6th grade I was obsessed with them. Never saw them in a store once, probably wouldn't have mattered if I did since I didn't generally have pocket money in those days. All the cards I ever got were from wheeling and dealing, trading with other kids. A Star Wars figure for 2 packs worth. No gum included, but no big loss there, it was that Topps "guaranteed to chip a tooth" mummified stick-gum.

Those, and at the same time, old best-of Mad Magazine paperback books. One of the parents of my classmates owned a used book store so he got me a bunch of those books, I probably traded away half my possessions for them. As a kid I had no freaking idea who most of the political figures they were making fun of were, since the books were from the 70's and late 60's.

I was so into both of those (and Robotech, now that I think about it), but by 7th grade had totally moved on. I wondered how I got un-obsessed so quickly, and then it dawned on me, "Oh yeah, puberty."

Anyway, the documentary is OK, a bit slow maybe and at nearly 2 hours it could have been cut down a bit, but not bad.

Offline RussG

• Level 9: Grid Champion
Re: Garbage Pail Kids documentary
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 08:32:59 AM »
If this was about Wacky Packages I'd be all over it!

Thanks for the heads up!

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
Re: Garbage Pail Kids documentary
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 11:03:51 AM »
Yeah Garbage Pail kids were the thing around what.. 1985? I remember the highlight of the week going to McCrorys and blowing my entire $5 allowance on packs.. which @ 25 cents a pack got you a decent amount.

Some of those early cards are worth big bucks now.

I've been aware of the doc for abit but just need to watch it. I think it's on Amazon for rent so I just need to bite the bullet and grab it.

They are of course still producing Garbage Pail kids, just bought a pack the other day.. still funny on some level.