Author Topic: Can this pc board be saved? Name a tech that can repair corrosion  (Read 1819 times)

Offline scorpion

• Level 2: Villager
Hello

I am in a super panic.  A lady is buying a DK for her husband's birthday next week.
I grabbed a dk from the village sight unseen (yes I know) and the description said just needs repair.
I am now unable to deliver the game to her. I do not know what to tell her.  I spent her money and now I do not have anything to deliver for what she paid for.  I am afraid she is going to feel ripped off when the birthday date arrives.

I was told Arcade Mike can work on this board for a flat rate of $125. I fear he may send it back as none repairable.
Is there a tech out there that can repair this board?

I paid cash in advance for this game and eyeballed it inside a van laying on it's back. I did not do due diligence and take a look inside. We were to meet later at my house after 6pm when I got home from work.  The game arrived at 4pm before I got off work.

As I am a hobby electronic repair guy and have worked on games part time since the 1980's I thought how hard could this be?  Perhaps a cap kit and some regulators on a power supply?
I opened the game and to my horror I find this game must have been a barn find or stored outside.

Is there any way this board can be repaired in time to make this lady happy?

Sincerly your buying moron who takes faith in the village. thanks you for your input!

« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 09:47:52 AM by scorpion »
Why is there always enough time to go back and fix it right a second time??

Offline scorpion

Re: Can this pc board be saved? Name a tech that can repair corrosion
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 06:58:31 AM »
Posted pictures using the icon but I do not see them.

corrsosion on ic chips on pc board
https://imgur.com/yjIShY9

rust on ic's in sockets
https://imgur.com/VtN8Sqt

corrosion on edge connector 1 close up
https://imgur.com/luLdHAs

corrosion on edge connector wide view 2
https://imgur.com/UF1JZUO

corrosion on edge connector close up 3
https://imgur.com/A7AKrzh
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 07:02:48 AM by scorpion »

Offline atarijim

• Level 5: Power User!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 07:51:05 AM »
For less than $125 you could convert to a multi and it would be reliable for years to come.
There would be 3 DK versions with high score save, better than the original.
Not counting all the other games too. Just a thought.

aj

Offline Doublekick

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 08:13:03 AM »
Your first mistake was not asking for pics of the machine inside and out. Never assume it's an easy fix, that board can be fixed with Alot of work.
Best case here as mentioned with atari Jim's suggestion
Would be the easiest route in your case
Good luck

Offline scorpion

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 09:20:09 AM »
The game needs to qualify for DK competition scoring.  I do not think that a 60 in 1 would be allowed.

Yes, time wise it may be better to buy another original DK board set, but I do not have want to go negative to get this game out.
I will do so just to protect my name but I cannot see a DK board set selling for $100 and meet the specs for competition.

I am not sure if burned roms qualify also.  I am under the idea that they have to be orginal roms but I am not sure of that.

I am thinking he is wanting to practice up for the kong off or scoring on twitch.

Thank you Atari Jim for help! (Also thank you for the Asteroids that you sold me in 2010 that Russel is now in possesion.  It has been a while)!

Gameover1173.  Yes!  A good lesson for everyone on the village to learn from me.  Don't trust the village without due diligence!
Sad for me to say that!  Dealt with many a number of you guys on a hand shake alone and never had any issue till now.
With all of the great deals I have had in the past I guess I am due this one.  God works in mysterious ways!

Offline HammysHangout ( Hammy )

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 10:31:51 AM »
I was told Arcade Mike can work on this board for a flat rate of $125. I fear he may send it back as none repairable.
Is there a tech out there that can repair this board?

i need to raise my rates....  Normally, if they can't fix it, they return it with you paying return shipping, if he charges $125 fixed or unfixed, that is not very cool. and i need to really change my rates :)

---

The board isn't that bad, what is the issue?

Sadly, your not local, and I am not aware of any techs on that coast, sadly the only two known good techs are on this coast :]

---

It does need to be an original board, however, "freshly" burned roms are OK for TQ stickers fall off.. as long as they can be validated they are valid code, then there shouldn't be an issue.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 10:34:25 AM by Hamster »
https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins:  R&M, AMH, RCT, DW, DE:ST
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

Offline scorpion

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 11:32:05 AM »
Hamster!

How are you doing? I may send this to you but I do not know if you an opening in your schedule?

No. I did not say I would be charged the $125 and sent back. I was just fearful that it would be turned down and not repaired.

It would be awesome to save an original board!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 12:39:40 PM by scorpion »

Offline FUNWIZ

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 12:58:30 PM »
 This is just a quick note as I’m reading this… If you’re paying 125 to fix a board, and you can get a another working board for less than that, that doesn’t make any sense? A working DK board should be all lot more than 125 to repair it in my opinion. I mean why would you send it off to repair something that you can get for less?
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Chicago Gaming, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline k7

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 01:25:04 PM »
that sucks. but a not-working game is a not-working game, sadly. i'm willing to say a working board put in that game would not fire up with no other cleaning done anyways.

clean the edge connectors with distilled water/vinegar mix. remove corrosion. clean the wire connectors as best you can. threads on how to do that.

remove socketed chips, clean, replace. prepare to have to buy new chips due to broken legs from removal. prepare for someone to possibly have to install new sockets. anyone who repairs that board is going to do all of this.

i'm sure you have more corrosion up at the monitor connections as well. go over everything.

i've had more rust, corrosion, and destroyed legs on chips on bally AS-2518-35s and bought them back to life, so you may bring it back. best of luck.

no idea who the seller is...but open up communications with him/her. might help...i don't know.

… If you’re paying 125 to fix a board, and you can get a another working board for less than that, that doesn’t make any sense? A working DK board should be all lot more than 125 to repair it in my opinion. I mean why would you send it off to repair something that you can get for less?

he's saying he can't source a good board for 100 bucks. honestly, he'd be hard pressed to source a dead board nowadays for 200 bucks. hobby's gotten nutty. :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 01:27:07 PM by k7 »
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 01:58:05 PM »
Hamster!

How are you doing? I may send this to you but I do not know if you an opening in your schedule?

No. I did not say I would be charged the $125 and sent back. I was just fearful that it would be turned down and not repaired.

It would be awesome to save an original board!

i am not taking on any repairs until next year, i have 4 food fight pcb(s) and several other boards in repair.

you should be able to get a working DK boardset for under $125

^ yeah, try 200+
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 02:02:14 PM by Hamster »
https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

Offline scorpion

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 02:34:08 PM »
This is just a quick note as I’m reading this… If you’re paying 125 to fix a board, and you can get a another working board for less than that, that doesn’t make any sense? A working DK board should be all lot more than 125 to repair it in my opinion. I mean why would you send it off to repair something that you can get for less?

Thank you Funwiz for the feedback. There are no board sets available on the cheap. It would be nice though!

Offline scorpion

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 02:44:14 PM »
Thank you K7!

Great advice! You hit it dead on!

It would not be so bad if it was just a personal project. You are right though! This project is going to need a lot of work!

Offline scorpion

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 02:52:47 PM »
i am not taking on any repairs until next year, i have 4 food fight pcb(s) and several other boards in repair.

Duly noted from another thread where you posted this info.
Plus this is above and beyond a normal repair as this is a complete strip down, pc board salvage and complete parts installation.

I am still on a hunt for a tech. I wish I had the right equipment to do it myself (and the time)!

Thanks Hamster!

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2018, 03:42:39 PM »
Plus this is above and beyond a normal repair as this is a complete strip down, pc board salvage and complete parts installation.

I am not so sure on that.

Offline FUNWIZ

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2018, 09:05:23 PM »
What board type is this? 2 or 4?  Upright or sit down?  Where was it stored at?
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Chicago Gaming, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.