Author Topic: My first EM repair/restore help thread (‘73 Jumping Jack)  (Read 1128 times)

Offline gt7766c

• Level 3: Hologram
My first EM repair/restore help thread (‘73 Jumping Jack)
« on: August 28, 2018, 11:21:29 AM »
Hi all, working on my first EM and will need some advice so starting a thread.

My friend has a ‘73 Jumping Jack that needs a little love. It’s been inside his house for years and in good condition but wants me to repair/restore it.

Step 1).  Logistics...  They had a small house fire recently (family and pin are fine).  The flooring has to be redone so he has to move the pin and I offered to bring it to my house. However, I have to move it tonight...  how do I do this because it’s so heavy?

I have a Toyota Sequioa so it should fit (used to move all my arcades so I know it will fit a big 1992 Midway cab).

I do not have a pin jack...  I have a furniture dolly though.

Please help with advice.  Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kris

Vids:  Ms. Pac, Star Wars, NBA Jam TE, Golden Tee Complete, ARpiCADE, NeoGeo, Centipede
Pins:  Space Shuttle, Space Mission

Offline k7

• Level 10: Timelord
Re: My first EM repair/restore help thread (‘73 Jumping Jack)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 01:13:20 PM »
i stole this:

Electro-Mechanical Pinballs
For Electro-Mechanical pinball machines, you need to remove the headbox rear access panel to gain access to the bolts and plugs inside. Usually this panel has a lock on it to keep it in place, but over time the key may have been lost. Quite often, there is a screw keeping this panel in place.

Once inside, remove the bolts and unplug the large connectors that have wiring going down into the machine. You may want to label these connectors to put them back in the right spot, but they should be different sizes, making it difficult to plug back incorrectly.

You can now remove the headbox completely, or fold the headbox down onto the playfield glass. Make sure you use some foam, heavy cardboard, or blankets to protect the headbox from rubbing on the cabinet. Foam is best, as it will help keep the back glass in place.

remove the pinball. remove the coin box. i'd remove the head and carry seperatly. take rear legs off, lower to ground. tilt up so coin door faces ceiling. take front legs off. now the cabinet can be strapped to a dolly. note when/when you fold the head, i use 1 strap to hold the head to the cabinet, and i use a 2nd strap to hold the game to the cart so i can rock it onto the wheels, and roll away. if it's just the cabinet, 1 strap, they're pretty light without the head attached.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 01:15:23 PM by k7 »
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline FUNWIZ

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 01:24:22 PM »
Be careful with the back glass as it is it is artwork and will need to be protected.   Remove and wrap if you can for safety sake.
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Chicago Gaming, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline gt7766c

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 06:30:29 PM »
Sound advice.  Thank you all. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Kris

Vids:  Ms. Pac, Star Wars, NBA Jam TE, Golden Tee Complete, ARpiCADE, NeoGeo, Centipede

Offline gt7766c

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 10:17:52 PM »
That was easy. I had some help so we carried it to the truck and then took the legs off.  Safely home and in the garage/shop.

Kris

Offline FUNWIZ

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 10:58:33 PM »
Remember to keep the glass upright or it might flake if it’s laying down.
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Chicago Gaming, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline gt7766c

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 07:32:47 AM »
Ah, thank you FunWiz. Rookie mistake but I will next time!

Step 2). Education.  I found a couple online resources to read through but am looking for some good YouTube videos. I’m addicted to arcade channels (e.g. john’s arcade). Lyon’s Arcade has a couple EM restores I’ve been watching but any other suggestions?  May be a while before I have time to get my hands on the machine (need to get my NBA Jam near done first).  Thanks all!

Kris

Offline viking1

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 01:44:02 PM »
For EM machines I highly recommend Clay Harrell's guides at:

http://pinrepair.com/

I like them so much that I printed them out and put them in binders, in case he ever decided to remove them from the website (as he did for the guides for SS games).  He's a good guy with lots of knowledge

Good Luck .... it's ALOT of fun!  8)
Past Pins (all Gottlieb EM's): Scuba, Mini Cycle, Out of Sight, Sky Jump, Fast Draw, Royal Flush, Pioneer, Jet Spin, Jungle, Mustang, Bronco, Fun Land, Paul Bunyan, 300

Wish List: Gottlieb Wedgeheads: 2001, El Dorado, Atlantis, Strange World, Jacks Open, Space Orbit, Rock Star, Centigrade 37.  Others:  Gemini, Target Alpha, Mars Trek, Black Sheep Squadron

Offline gt7766c

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 04:34:27 PM »
Thanks, will check that website out.

Thought this was cool:

Kris

Offline gt7766c

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 05:11:50 PM »
Can I restore this like other coin doors with steel wool and a cleaner?

Kris

Offline FUNWIZ

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 10:40:24 PM »
 Try a scotch pad and a light oil like WD-40 first and see if it helps. Some doors are not 100% stainless,  and you could make it rust more.  Try testing the inside first.

Offline gt7766c

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 07:38:29 AM »

I cleaned the metal as best I could with wd40 and a 3m green scotch pad (thanks funwiz!).  Now I’d like to try to clean the below pictures things. Do I need evaporust or is there another elbow grease method?

These rail nails:

And the pitted parts of the coin door:

Kris

Offline FUNWIZ

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 05:57:27 PM »
Door is thin metal, pitted, not going to get much better.  High to low options are: new door skin, re-plate it, powder coat, paint, or last just wire brush it to your liking. 

Offline WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

• Level 8: Psi Corps
  • It's showtime!
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 10:26:51 PM »
Also try Barkeeper's Friend. It's really great for cleaning/polishing steel.

Offline FUNWIZ

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2018, 11:11:18 PM »
Ok, I'm curious.  Any paper work left inside it?  Anything hand written on the underside of the playfield or inside the cabinet?  Can I get some pix of the insides under the playfield?  I don't have any notes left on these early machines, and don't remember which of these had the mechs/wiring modified to make it a harder game to play.