Author Topic: The Predator  (Read 107 times)

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
The Predator
« on: September 14, 2018, 02:01:03 PM »
The original Predator was a classic. The sequels.. not so much. I can't remember much about Predator 2, I never saw the point of the PG-13 AvP movies.. and while I did enjoy the underbudgeted Robert Rodriguez Predators it didn't seem to have much of an impact.

So we're back to the well again for The Predator written by the nerdy guy from the first movie. This time we have Boyd Holbrook as a special services sniper that runs into a predator on a mission in Mexico. Apparently the Predator went rogue and escaped with a secret weapon and is now perused by even bigger mainstream Predators. Boyd gets caught in the middle as he also has to fight off evil government agencies also after the stolen tech.

Aping the squad based setup from the original Boyd is joined by a group of nutty escaped military mental patients and for whatever reason Olivia Munn (ain't nothing wrong with that). Boyd has an Autistic son who can understand Predator technology because reasons.. and they all run around chasing each other in various small town and forest locations.

The biggest shift here is the tone of it all.. this is a straight up Action-Comedy with equal attention paid to both. Key (of Key and Peele) is part of the squad so you can get the gist of what they are going for. That's not to say it's light on the action or violence.. there's plenty of decapitations and spine rips but its always done in conjunction with a joke or a sight gag shortly thereafter. At no point does it feel like an Action-Horror film like the original.

There are plenty of references to '87 Predator including a few groaner call back lines. For the first half of the movie I wasn't sure if I liked it or not but eventually figured out that it's trying to be more fun than anything else and for the most part it works on some level. It's not great mind you.. It's a hair above average. It's just if you were looking for a big budget follow up to the classic Predator I'm not sure this is exactly what you were expecting.. for better or worse.

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 8: Psi Corps
Re: The Predator
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 04:45:57 PM »
Predator 2 was not bad. Better than I expected, and about the best you could hope for from a sequel of that era (Aliens aside).

Danny Glover is solid as usual, and it expanded on the backstory of the Predators a bit. Definitely not a must-see or anything, but pretty decent.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 06:01:52 PM »
Predator 2 was not bad. Better than I expected, and about the best you could hope for from a sequel of that era (Aliens aside).

Danny Glover is solid as usual, and it expanded on the backstory of the Predators a bit. Definitely not a must-see or anything, but pretty decent.

I've seen it, I just don't remember much about it.

Offline SpineyNorman

• Administrator
  • I'll have Double Jim Bourbons
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 08:11:56 PM »
Olivia Munn in a movie = garbage...I mean she single handedly killed X-Men:Apocalypse.  ;)
TANSTAAFL 

I'm available for parties, own my own donkeys. Very clean.
If you can read the forum you can figure out Craigslist, constant updates are tedious at best

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer?
Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 10:56:51 PM »
Olivia Munn in a movie = garbage...I mean she single handedly killed X-Men:Apocalypse.  ;)

Yes, her 4 lines really killed that one :P