Author Topic: Arcade Advise  (Read 1600 times)

Offline MattB

• Level 3: Hologram
Arcade Advise
« on: June 14, 2010, 01:41:10 PM »
I'm thinking about taking the plunge and purchasing my first arcade/video game. I'm thinking a multicade would be a good start since I would like to have more than one game to play on the machine. Games of interest are Frogger and Donkey Kong.

When I purchased my first pin a few years ago it was on an impulse buy before I was into this addicting hobby. I overpaid and had no idea what to lookout for when purchasing a title. I don't want to make the same mistake purchasing my first arcade. Any help what I should look for when purchasing an arcade would be greatly appreciated. Additionally, what price range should I be looking at for a clean working upright multicade?

Thanks for all the help.
Matt   

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
Re: Arcade Advise
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 02:13:51 PM »
There are several ways you can go if you want a Multicade -

Buy a working Jamma game at the auction next week for $50-$200 (dependong on quality/condition) then pick up a XXX-n-1 PCB for about $100 +/- depending on how many games it has. Upside, cheap! Downside, flakey emulation (especially sounds)

Build a MAME cabinet. Cost - $400-$500 or so probably, depending on how crazy you get. Decent learning curve on this especially if your not PC saavy.

Or..

Buy a completely done Multicade - $700-$1200+, most of the value here is usually in the presentation and the artwork

Buy a prebuilt MAME - probably about the same as a prebuilt Multicade. Once again saves time and you can get a nice looking one.

If it was*ME* I'd go with option #1. Buy a decent 2 player JAMMA cabinet at auction, then your options are pretty good. You can get a multicade board if you want, you can get one the various 'legit' multi-game boards (ie oone officially released and licensed) as those tend to have spot on emulation so the games play right. ArcadeShop has one out now as well that plays better than the Chinese stuff.. they typically don't offer as many games and cost a bit more but I think its worth it. But if your not a DIY type or don't want the hassles just get somebody to build you a MAME unit.

Offline MattB

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 02:55:23 PM »
Thanks Number Six

I don't know a thing about arcade games so I will leave out the build it myself option. As for the auction, I would love to get up there and meet you all and see what it's all about but I have another commitment. Plus I'm sure I would come home with another pin rather than an arcade.

I'll post a WTB add on the board in the next few days when I make up my mind and hopefully something decent will pop. I prefer something decent looking even though it's going in my garage. Thanks again.

Offline k7

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 04:28:55 PM »
Thanks Number Six

I don't know a thing about arcade games so I will leave out the build it myself option. As for the auction, I would love to get up there and meet you all and see what it's all about but I have another commitment. Plus I'm sure I would come home with another pin rather than an arcade.

I'll post a WTB add on the board in the next few days when I make up my mind and hopefully something decent will pop. I prefer something decent looking even though it's going in my garage. Thanks again.

the majority of the auction pins usually sell for more than street value (given condition vs. out the door price), and more than board value. :)

the chinese xxx in 1 boards suck. i hear my son playing mine now, and the sounds makes me cringe.
MAME builds give you a ton of games, constant upgrades and new games, and come up on here for a great price pretty regularily. and the majority of the games are dead on, in my opinion.
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline MattB

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 04:44:13 PM »
If I'm looking at MAME is there a way to tell if it's the chinese junk by looking at the board? or is it just a crap shoot.

I have been looking around today and there is some crazy looking stuff out there. Some of the MAME units I've seen have hunderds of buttons and track balls :o, is all that needed?

Offline micksimmonds

• FREEPLAY FLORIDA 2016 - Bigger, Better ;-)
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 05:01:12 PM »
MAME you wont really find on a chinese board, Klassic is referring to the multicade boards 60 in 1, I sold a multicade a week or so ago, check back on for sale topic and will see the pics, that was cheap! the multicades are good if on a budget and you dont mind some of the sounds being off, but otherwise will annoy you, Gyruss comes to mind as one that has very bad sound, joys of 60 games on a little chip using the same hardware, cant emulate 100% but they are good and a cheap start

MAME can run from a few hundred to over 1000, I know someone that has a fantastic Blast City that has a MAME box in it and will be for sale, his is all ready to go, will give you a mass of games to play and its set up, and price is good, and also has a 29" monitor!!!!

you dont need a mass of buttons on the control panels, as the JPAC, IPAC allows you to control most commands thru a few key presses, so unless you want a 4 player MAME, or you want a trackball, spinner, 4 sticks, 1 4way stick etc, you dont need to go over the top, the best option for cheap is get a JAMMA cabinet at auction, ASK for advice there, before bidding! and either do a cheap multicade or a MAME
FREEPLAY FLORIDA
Check out http://www.freeplayflorida.com and on facebook - http://www.facebook.com/freeplayflorida

Offline MattB

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 06:12:29 PM »
Thanks All,

I'll think about it tonight and if I don't change my mind I'll be posting a WTB post in the am. I think since it's my first arcade I wouldn't have a problem with the multicade sound issues. I just have to start somewhere.

Englishman, If your friend is ready to sell he can shoot me a pm with price and what games are on his MAME, thanks

Offline micksimmonds

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 06:36:45 PM »
Every game is on his MAME, and some that will blow you away!!!! Far better than most MAME cabinets you will find
FREEPLAY FLORIDA
Check out http://www.freeplayflorida.com and on facebook - http://www.facebook.com/freeplayflorida

Offline MattB

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 07:22:46 PM »
Please pm me with a price range before I go nuts ;D

Offline micksimmonds

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 08:12:48 PM »
well you should have a PM  :)
FREEPLAY FLORIDA