Author Topic: STTNG reset problem  (Read 5733 times)

Offline tktlwyr

• Level 8: Psi Corps
  • Lord of the Slings
Re: STTNG reset problem
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 02:07:07 PM »
Reseat J114 on the driver board, check the voltage again and report.

If the voltage has not gone up, re-seat J210 on the CPU, check the voltage again and report.

What we're looking for is the voltage on the CPU to match the 5.10 volts DC you got on the driver board.

If re-seating either one of these connectors gets the voltage up on to 5.10 on the CPU, replace the appropriate header pin and connector.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 02:14:05 PM by tktlwyr »
David Paz
AFMrSE, Eight Ball, Flash Gordon, FFPre, GZPre, Hot Tip, IMDNLE, IM, Joker Poker, MMrSE, Paragon, Pulp Fiction: Bad Mother Flipper Edition, Rush LE, and Wild Card

Offline JimB

• Level 6: Knight Industries
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2010, 02:50:10 PM »
When i did that to J114 the watchdog reboots are back on power up  I worked all the wires back and forth, they seems like they are making contact.  Remember I removed the z connector already so it might just be the connector that goes right into the board that's not making good contact?  short of soldering them direct, how can I tell?  I tried everything over and over and it still reboots non-stop when I power up now.   Do you think it's the wires going to J114 or the board itself now?  Me pressing on the board to get the connection weaken a solder joint on the board maybe?  The two voltages on the cpu you had me check are still in the same range as before during these new resets.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 02:57:00 PM by JimB »
PINS - TSPP, STTNG, POTC, Munsters, 24, STLE, bm66, Aerosmith

Offline tktlwyr

• Lord of the Slings
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 02:59:08 PM »
I'd replace the J114 connector and header pins on the driver board.  If you've had a solid 5.10 volts at TP2, despite everyone claiming BR2, your BR2, C5 and Q1 appear to be fine.  

You're losing the voltage somewhere when it gets to the CPU and my bet is the header pins and connector.

Also, you may also just want to look for a cold solder joint on the back of J114.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 03:02:20 PM by tktlwyr »
David Paz
AFMrSE, Eight Ball, Flash Gordon, FFPre, GZPre, Hot Tip, IMDNLE, IM, Joker Poker, MMrSE, Paragon, Pulp Fiction: Bad Mother Flipper Edition, Rush LE, and Wild Card

Offline JimB

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 03:10:40 PM »
Yes TP2 is still fine during the reboots.  Okay will do and report back next week,

thanks all for the help

Offline tktlwyr

• Lord of the Slings
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 03:22:23 PM »
Jim, I reached out to Rob and he may have replaced the male header pins on the driver board already and it may just be the connector you need to replace.  Please hold from ordering until I get his response.
David Paz

Offline tktlwyr

• Lord of the Slings
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 04:16:42 PM »
OK, Rob said he couldn't recall whether he replaced the header pins or just cleaned and treated them.  It would be indicated on the tag that was attached to the board when returned if he replaced them.  Either way, the header pins should be fine.

Replace the connector at J114 and also J101 for good measure.  Both are 7 pin Molex connectors and be sure to use crimp on Trifurcon style .156" pins.  You'll also need a crimper.  I'm not sure if Curly carries this stuff.  If not, check with Great Plains Electronics.
David Paz

Offline JimB

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2010, 04:30:11 PM »
Thanks so much.  Ill get new connectors

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
  • Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2010, 04:49:16 PM »
Great Plains carries all this stuff!  Get a bridge rectifier while your at it!

Offline tktlwyr

• Lord of the Slings
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2010, 05:29:34 PM »
Ughhh, you guys and your bridge rectifiers.  When it comes to tech, I think that's all most of you guys know.   :-\

Do not...DO NOT replace the bridge rectifier!  It is absolutely fine on your driver board as demonstrated by the +5.10v DC and could just complicate the repair, like ibis changing a plug when we were diagnosing his problem a few weeks ago.  ;)
David Paz

Offline Miracleman

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2010, 06:05:15 PM »

Offline tktlwyr

• Lord of the Slings
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2010, 07:12:09 PM »
Thanks so much.  Ill get new connectors

Jim,

I bounced this off of Rob some more and he reviewed this thread.  He thinks it may be a thermistor problem in the power box inside the cabinet to the right of the coin door.

Follow the link the that Miracleman posted and scroll down to the section "The Power Box and Game Resets".  There are some pictures to show what we're talking about.
David Paz

Offline Mamushka

• Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2010, 07:14:30 PM »
Ughhh, you guys and your bridge rectifiers.  When it comes to tech, I think that's all most of you guys know.   :-\

Do not...DO NOT replace the bridge rectifier!  It is absolutely fine on your driver board as demonstrated by the +5.10v DC and could just complicate the repair, like ibis changing a plug when we were diagnosing his problem a few weeks ago.  ;)

It's all about the bridges: Game resets... change BR2, weak flippers... change BR2, bad display... BR2, stuck transistor... replace BR2 ;D
Pins: TAF, FG (not the Ah-Haaa one), SM, FH, LOTR. NGG
Past Pins: SM, IJ, STTNG x2, WH2O x3, CFTBL, NGG, ES, MB, TFTC, LW3, TZ, SS, BG, LOTR, Monopoly couple of EM's
Other (AKA Vids): Cocktail MAME

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
  • Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2010, 09:27:34 PM »

It's all about the bridges: Game resets... change BR2, weak flippers... change BR2, bad display... BR2, stuck transistor... replace BR2 ;D

YA!!  SEE!!  What does Dave know!??  Ppffffth! :D ;)

Offline JimB

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2010, 09:26:12 AM »
Thanks so much.  Ill get new connectors

Jim,

I bounced this off of Rob some more and he reviewed this thread.  He thinks it may be a thermistor problem in the power box inside the cabinet to the right of the coin door.

Follow the link the that Miracleman posted and scroll down to the section "The Power Box and Game Resets".  There are some pictures to show what we're talking about.

I was able to rule that out early on.   I by-passed the thermistor per the instructions I found on the repair list but it didn't solve my resets.  It looked really clean so made sense it was good.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 09:29:02 AM by JimB »

Offline tktlwyr

• Lord of the Slings
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2010, 09:47:29 AM »
Great!
David Paz