Author Topic: Playfield clear coating - Clearwater/Tampa auto body shops?  (Read 3005 times)

Offline sirmatt

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
Playfield clear coating - Clearwater/Tampa auto body shops?
« on: August 12, 2008, 01:07:35 PM »
Any Auto body shops around Clearwater/Tampa that have experience doing playfields with clearcoat? Has anyone done this locally and how much was it?

I had a place I got my car fixed at that were great, but haven't gotten back to me.

- Matt
WHITE RUBBER SUPREMACIST

Aztec | Big Hit | Disco Fever | Drop-A-Card | Earthshaker | Firepower | Fun Fest | Genie | Gorgar | Hot Line | Jive Time | King Pin | Roller Disco | Satin Doll | Sky Jump | Sorcerer | Super Star | Suspense | Wild Wild West

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
  • Level 10: Timelord
Re: Playfield clear coating - Clearwater/Tampa auto body shops?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 04:46:53 PM »
Here is the problem with that....if it is an older playfield and you have sunken or dipped inserts, they will remain sunken or dipped unless you address them.  Also, if there is some separation between the playfield and the insert, that too needs to be addressed.  If your playfield is perfect then I am not sure what other pitfalls there would be with taking it to an automotive location other than them not wanting to take responsibility if they screw it up or go too heavy on it, etc.

Offline scrambled

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 06:04:42 PM »
Sounds pretty scary to me.  As much as I'd like to take the full playfield mylar off my Strange Science and have it clearcoated, I'd probably stay away from the risk.  There used to be a local pinhead up here that would do minimal touch-up and clearcoat, but I haven't seen a post on GAPAS from him in a few years.

Offline sirmatt

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 08:31:56 AM »
Insert leveling is done one one and to-be-done on another, that's a given, as are touchups.

Ehhh...maybe I'll do a brush-applied clear or something like that...just dunno where to get this stuff. Wonder if it goes on anything like woodstain, which I have all over my arms this morning.

- Matt
WHITE RUBBER SUPREMACIST

Aztec | Big Hit | Disco Fever | Drop-A-Card | Earthshaker | Firepower | Fun Fest | Genie | Gorgar | Hot Line | Jive Time | King Pin | Roller Disco | Satin Doll | Sky Jump | Sorcerer | Super Star | Suspense | Wild Wild West

Offline micksimmonds

• FREEPLAY FLORIDA 2016 - Bigger, Better ;-)
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 08:42:46 AM »
I would have thought you could level the pf using the clearcoat, as if you wet (very slight) sanded the cc between applications, then you can start to level the pf so after a good few coats, you should be able to have a pretty level pf, you could buy a spray can from a autostore  ??? but after a few applications you should be able to get it pretty flat
FREEPLAY FLORIDA
Check out http://www.freeplayflorida.com and on facebook - http://www.facebook.com/freeplayflorida

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 09:53:46 AM »
You are right Mick, the only way to do it is to level the playfield.  Like I said, the sunken and separated inserts on older machines need just that, a leveling.  But no auto shop is going to do that.  It is very time consuming.

Offline micksimmonds

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 10:03:50 AM »
You might find a bodyshop that likes a project or a challenge, I know when I did it, I would have jobs like this, to keep me busy when waiting for the cars to dry and that, if you sell it to a smaller bodyshop then they might just do it, and if you can get one done as a tester/sample and comes good, then that bodyshop might get a load more from other people (from board) if price and work is good.  Its not that time consuming to level the cc, and with the 2pack cc its pretty easy, just the time from start to finish is long due to the time in between coats.
FREEPLAY FLORIDA
Check out http://www.freeplayflorida.com and on facebook - http://www.facebook.com/freeplayflorida

Offline tktlwyr

• Level 8: Psi Corps
  • Lord of the Slings
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 10:10:55 AM »
Curly's son has a body shop and does clearcoating.  Maybe you should contact Curly.
David Paz
AFMrSE, Eight Ball, Flash Gordon, FFPre, GZPre, Hot Tip, IMDNLE, IM, Joker Poker, MMrSE, Paragon, Pulp Fiction: Bad Mother Flipper Edition, Rush LE, and Wild Card

Offline sirmatt

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 10:19:03 AM »
Hehe...haven't you guys ever done a project?

I am not looking for Playfield Restorations-style work to be done at a body shop. I will level the inserts and so on, that stuff is easy. I am just trying to avoid the toxic chemicals and so on for just the clearcoat.

I will contact "Curly's son"...once I figure out who that is, lol...pardon my ignorance.
WHITE RUBBER SUPREMACIST

Offline micksimmonds

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 10:20:50 AM »
curlys son on here is mojo114 or something like that, If I had a machine that needed a cc, I think if it was a earlier 1 level pf, then I would try it  ;D why not see if anyone has a old dead pf that is past repair, to practice on?
FREEPLAY FLORIDA

Offline sirmatt

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 01:58:44 PM »
Englishman,

Well the pinrepair talk of deadly toxins and vapours got me worried about doing clearcoat myself...everyone on RGP seems to think auto clearcoat is the end-all-be-all, I would just like to play a nice smooth game.

What would you use, or what have any of you used in the past and to what effect? Or is this a dumb/unnecessary thing to pursue for the most part?
WHITE RUBBER SUPREMACIST

Offline micksimmonds

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 02:27:42 PM »
yeah 2pack paints arent the best for your health, but so are a lot of things, I spent a good few years working with the stuff, and Im fine...cough cough, no seriously yeah after 20 years of so, it does take a toll on your health, but the odd pf, with a decent mask or something is ok, comes down to preparation and how well you can get the playfield cleaned, clear coating the pf is simple enough, and can be done at home without fancy tools, as long as you leave enough time to dry before sanding smooth and applying next coat.  If I had a old pf then would try it out as curious to see how well can get that smooth look :)
FREEPLAY FLORIDA

Offline Pinball Joker

• Level 3: Hologram
  • Tone Chaser
    • My 1923 Ford Model T "C" Cab Streetrod
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 02:42:08 PM »
Just a side note... a $50 mask isn't the way to shoot clears... a fresh air mask (covers your eyes and mouth) that pumps in fresh air to you with the pump located outside the booth, they run around $1200 if I remember correctly.  You also have to cover your body, etc. 

I have shot clear and probably took a few years off my life because of it (My streetrod homepage in my profile is the one I shot).
- John -
Pins: RFM SWE1 LAH TZ TOM Vids: Capcom "Mercs" Others: Megatouch, 8 pachislos and some this and that's

Offline micksimmonds

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 02:46:06 PM »
Yeah of course a nice air fed mask is the best, but to do a quick job I have to admit never did that, only when painting a full car  ??? so ok might have taken a couple of years off, oh well, what can you do, if you have already levelled the pf then any old clearcoat might work?
FREEPLAY FLORIDA

Offline Pinball Joker

• Level 3: Hologram
  • Tone Chaser
    • My 1923 Ford Model T "C" Cab Streetrod
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 02:59:59 PM »
I just put that out there because alot of people do not realize how toxic the clear is... it's the worst of the worst... it's like spraying a mist of super glue into the air.  :o so many people think it's like shooting a rattle can of paint, but it's not.

When I shot I used a 3m respirator and did it out doors (ok tree huggers curse me out now), still not good on either level.

PS end of your public service bulletin.... back to your regular scheduled thread.
- John -
Pins: RFM SWE1 LAH TZ TOM Vids: Capcom "Mercs" Others: Megatouch, 8 pachislos and some this and that's