Author Topic: artwork on Stern machines  (Read 1156 times)

Offline r3zon8

• Level 3: Hologram
artwork on Stern machines
« on: September 05, 2008, 11:59:34 AM »
the art just doesnt seem to 'pop' on any of these machines, it looks like something that was spit out by an inkjet printer. i was able to play an IJ4 and look at a TDK at Brady yesterday afternoon and I unimpressed. i was expecting to drool over these NIB machines and want to get one; but that simply wasn't the case.

all else was fine...great toys, lighting, 'nib' feel, dmd, build quality, all top-notch.

HG

Offline Miracleman

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
Re: artwork on Stern machines
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 12:18:43 PM »
I just had a thought...
Would WMS Indy cab stickers fit Stern's IJ4 head and lower cab?

I don't think either Stern cab looks bad, but just trying to help.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 03:54:28 PM »
One of my big problems with the Sterns is I have never been impressed with the artwork. Now, they've come along way since the early titles like Austin Powers -- that looked like somebody printed it out on their $39 HP Deskjet on economy print mode and glued it to the playfield.

But they still have a long way to go before they get into classic Bally/Williams territory. Actually, I doubt given cost concerns and what not that they ever will. First off, since everything is a license they usually just have photo-art instead of actual drawn art. Now some people can complain that the old pins with hand drawn arts in many cases looked nothing like the characters they were supposed to represent (and this is true) but in many cases I still liked them.

I really dig the old school pinball art, especially on the 80s stuff (ironically the early 80s sterns are some of my favs). You take an older game like Fathom, Iron Maiden, Flight 2000.. well even if you don't like the way they play damn if they don't look totally awesome. It's hard to capture that feel with the still low res 'scanned' in looking stuff Stern uses today. I'd imagine it all has to do with keeping costs down, but it's still kinda sad. Even when they have actual drawn/painted 'art' on some games it just doesn't have that same feel.

Offline freakandgeek

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
    • The GameRoom Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 06:55:34 PM »
the art just doesnt seem to 'pop' on any of these machines, it looks like something that was spit out by an inkjet printer. i was able to play an IJ4 and look at a TDK at Brady yesterday afternoon and I unimpressed. i was expecting to drool over these NIB machines and want to get one; but that simply wasn't the case.

all else was fine...great toys, lighting, 'nib' feel, dmd, build quality, all top-notch.

I agree...that is a bit part of why I do not own any. I also think the game play and feel is much poorer to classics from the 80's and 90's also.

I cannot justify paying $3K or $4K for games inferior to ones I currently own at half or a third of the price.

- Kevin
http://GameRoomBlog.com
================================
Creature, WH20, Meteor, Fireball II, Godzilla, Rush, Foo Fighters